Fleas

Linz

Has anyone else around SE15/SE22 had issues with fleas of late? I've spent weeks of constant cleaning and putting ineffective chemicals around our house to get rid of them, but they keep coming back. I spoke to a guy in the hardware shop on Lordship Lane the other day when buying some powder and he said that he'd sold more of it in the last month than he ever has before. Does this sound like a familiar problem?

My cat is thankfully flea free (Advocate does work) and looking very pleased with himself - the little bugger.

Phew - I'm not alone. I'm guessing it's something to do with the weather. I know foxes spread them too. Did you have your place professionally fumigated then? It would be good to rule out any more useless treatments.

I keep telling myself that they're just a minor pest (which they are) but just the knowledge of them being there makes me itch.

I just had a chat with the vets (which I should have done ages ago) and like most flea treatments, they can build up an immunity to the sprays that you buy from local shops e.g. the doc martin's stuff you can buy in supermarkets.

I'm going to swing past later on and buy some of their death spray. I'll let you know how I get on.

I use R.I.P fleas for the house and Advantage for the dogs, don't waste your money with petshop products, you can get the housepray online a bit cheaper. I think fox fleas are not the same as our cat flea which is the little red/brown buggers that bite our dogs/cats and your ankles if infested. The only problem is, R.I.P kills everything like spiders :(

There was just a feature on You and Yours on radio 4 this lunchtime about how prevalent they are this year.

The best stuff for the house is from a Vets can't remember it's name but big aerosol can. I think it is licensed so only the vet can sell it and better than any off the shelf remedies in supermarkets etc. Do speak to a Vet they are used to it and not embarrassed / judgemental.

Nightmare.

Saw some Staykill in chemist on Northcross Road. They have a pet section with drops on the back of the neck stuff. Used to use it when I had cats. Sprayed flat just before I went out, put cats out, and left it for a few hours.

Cats seem to be the worst for fleas. When I had cats they were rampant. Now, no cats and no fleas!

I'm just about to take my poor cat to get injected. I've been combing him to get them off him but he goes back out into the garden and they just re-colonise him. I've had trouble with fleas in the garden because of the foxes... Every morning I go out and spy one on my foot!. Good to hear for better sprays for the house!