The Plough (Squib)

On another fruitless search for illustations of local vernacular architecture I came across a picture of The Plough I had not seen before.

The first file is the common engraving which was reproduced as a postcard c1905.

The second one I had not seen before (but perhaps everyone else has). Note the poplars.

John K

• 2 weeks later...

The Bus Stand beside the Plough Public House here in 1941 shows the buses that were in service then, some had been brought out of retirement as regular buses were being used for Troop transport.

It is interesting to see the white painted rings around the trees and lamp posts, and the front mud guards of all transport all front lights had a cover fitted over them to stop a beam on the road a very small slit was cut in the cover to allow oncomig trafic to see them.

This was to help to see oncoming vehicles in the unlighted streets, it was even more dificult to see out of the windows of trams and buses as they were covered in a lace to stop the glass that might be smashed by bombs showering the passengers that was glued to the glass, that and the smokers who covered the windows with nicotine soon became hopeless to see anything outside at all.

When the Smog came down the Conductor would have to walk in front of the bus ro show the deiver the way.

At main junctions of trams a lighted lamp that looked like a watering can with a wick in the funnel containing a diesel mixture were lighted giving off a yellow glow, adding to the smog.