Slug Infestation

They are vile and eat everything in the garden but I don't poison them because that kills the frogs which I love. Every damp morning I fill a whole green food recycling bin with them and put it in the brown bin. Gross but less so than any other control methods I have tried!

I found this interesting:

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/which-native-animals-eat-slugs-and.html

So, frogs and toads are good predators of slugs and snails. We have a very small pond, but in 2 years we've only seen one frog. We have trouble keeping the pond clean b/c it is so small. It doesn't seem to support a good nitrogen cycle. Any suggestions?

Don't kill the snails - they help keep your pond clean as they eat the plant debris in it.

Slugs are different. I have an occasional slug night involving a bucket of very hot, salty water. I don't think they feel any pain and I find it strangely satisfying.

I recently found out by accident that being dropped onto concrete from a reasonable height will also do the trick.

Ms B Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't kill the snails - they help keep your pond

> clean as they eat the plant debris in it.

xxxxxx

I think that is a different kind of snail ....... which lives in water .....

Yes, the little black pointy snails are a differnt genus. They live near water and don't munch your flower beds or seedlings. We have these around our pond this summer, an improvement over last summer when the pond went septic.

The large, round, brown snails are not at all aquatic, and I scoop dead ones out of the pond not infreqently. I think they fall off overhanging plants then drown. Ugh. Sometimes there is a dead bloated slug in the pond too. UGH.

Yes I tried drowning in a bucket but it's so revolting when they swell up and you still have to dispose of the corpses. Which is why I like my Southwark green bag method - and they get to take part in the cycle of life by becoming compost!