Library services

EJTH

Hubby took a book back weeks ago and kept getting letters stating it was overdue. Went into library and informed them already returned. They thought it may have not been booked back in my the assistant. he took out more books, when he returned them, was asked again about the original book - fine mounting up, again explained already returned.

Advised assistant what previous assistant had stated,again told they would check it out. Last week same thing happened- fed up hubby decided to pay fine for a book he did not have - I believe he said it was ?13 plus I was annoyed, if it had been me I would have looked for book on shelf firstly ( he gets out obscure books my hubby) and then ask them to do a more through check on the computor.

No, it's not just about a modern building. The library is situated in the heart of a community. A significant point.

There are plenty of people in the video. You need to watch all of it and not just the first minute!

Staff at Peckham library

I remember taking my folding bike into Peckham Library and the lower grade staff were making a scene despite the fact that their manager allowed me. It seems the lower grade staff were making up their health and safety rules when I asked them where they kept their rules and got blank reply. Bit silly really, as Southwark has aspirations to be a bike friendly borough and yet these people were acting like as though they were running the library. Ask them a simple question about library services and they fail to deliver a credible answer. My concern is not about the quantity of staff but actually the quality of staff. No point in carrying deadwood at council tax payers expense. I really felt sorry for their manager to having such disappointing staff.

When I was a teenager in Australia, library books were often returned to the shelves by secondary school students doing community support activities.

As for libraries in Tower Hamlets, wasn't there a lot of investment from the LDDC (London Docklands Development Corporation) and othe ring-fenced Government monies to the libraries and other community services?

Hi, Pugwash. This has happened to me a couple of times now. Last time I went and found the book on the shelves and waved it at them. Also I've borrowed books that have still been issued to someone. Now I always watch till they've dealt with my returned books.

Lynne

EDmummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When I was a teenager in Australia, library books

> were often returned to the shelves by secondary

> school students doing community support

> activities.

It's still common now for secondary school students, particularly in year 10 (14-15) to do work experience in the summer term at a library, which will include shelf stacking (if they can grasp the Dewey system!)

Voluntary staff at libraries will become more common as staff roles become less and in some cases, libraries may be fully staffed by volunteers bar a manager.

It's worth remembering that our neighbours in Lewisham have volunteer run libraries, with the exception of Lewisham, Catford, Forest Hill and Torridon Road where as we have paid staff in Southwark.