The Amazon Locker @ the Co-operative, Lordship Lane

Do you have to pay extra for this?

Normally Amazon charge extra for next day delivery, whereas it's usually free if you can wait a few days.

I think in theory the locker system is a good idea, and if you live some way from the Royal Mail delivery office then it seems useful, but personally I wouldn't use it if I had to pay.

moneysavingexpert says teh following:

"How much is delivery?

There is no additional charge for using a locker, although you won't be able to select free delivery. Shoppers must pay up to ?4.28 per delivery plus up to ?1.73 per item.

However, fee-paying Amazon Prime customers will be able to get free one-day and first class delivery to the lockers"

Sue,

As SJ said, there's no additional charge for using a locker. The locker is only available if you select Amazon prime, courier or 1st class delivery option.

For ist class delivery cost see here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=11072961 . Delivery rate can be as little as ?1.49 whereas if you order a number of electronic goods then there's a flat rate of ?3.99.

Main advantage in using Amazon lockers is that you can collect your package up to 10pm each day whereas the Royal Mail have restricted opening hours. Not very good if you work during normal working hours and like a lie-in on a Saturday morning.

I suppose if they made the service completely free of delivery charges then getting a locker becomes an issue, Sue.

I've used Amazon prime before last december but Yodel/HDNL, who delivered my package, threw it into my back garden. Subsequently, my Amazon prime was ended soon after. The biggest problem with the locker system is that Amazon still uses Yodel to deliver packages unless you go for a more premium courier service.

Also agree, that if you aren't working there there is no real need for a premium delivery service though missing Royal Mail deliveries makes acase.