What's biting in ED?

A few days ago I got bitten by something (not a biss or wasp as that stings) one evening sitting out in a friend's garden in ED...the next day my hand had swollen eonrmously, was red and hot, itching and painful all at the same time. I had to start a course of antibiotics and the pharmacist on North Cross Road told me that I was the third person she had seen that day with exactly the same reaction / symptoms and the three of us seemed to have been bitten on Wednesday evening! What coud it be???

The bites could be from a Blandford Fly, originated from Blandford in Dorset.

A few years ago my husband got bitten in the garden, had a bad reaction went to the doctors and was given a course of

antibiotics. He was told about the Blandford Fly, at the time there was an article in the newspaper about people being

bitten and having bad allergic reactions.

Dolly

I dunno, but I got bitten on my eyelid a week ago, my eye was itching, I rubbed it and made it worse, I had a very swollen, red, sore, puffy eye, itching like mad, it finally has gone down this morning, really painful! Still a bit itchy now. I took photo's of it too ;)

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, sitting in my garden I got bitten by something around my eyelid. My eye become so swollen it looked as though I had a black eye. The doctor told me the same thing about the fly.

The week before last I had 2 days off work because of bites. I had 2 enormous blisters and extreme swelling. The doctor was somewhat surprised it had happened in the UK, URGH! I was meant to write a post about it on here but didn't get around to it, interesting that I'm seemingly not the only one!

Can I just ask if these bites from the Blandford fly are always itchy? My husband's elbow has gone bright red, swollen and hot, but doesn't itch. Initially he thought he'd bashed it, but it's been like that for over 24 hours now, and shows no sign of bruising, or going down. Not sure what to to about it

Mr Twirly is allergic to the doctors! I'm trying to persuade him to get medical advice if it's not gone down by tomorrow though. It's not hurting him though, so he's not worried about it (unlike me!). We were just talking about it online, then I came in here and saw this thread...

could be mosquito's, i got bitten on both my legs on saturday night... in my house but window was wide open. next day i realised there are mosquitos about!!! thought jamaica was the only place i got bitten by them! still sore & inflammed, am using aloe vera gel on it!

The following is suggested treatment for Blandford fly bites - these are small flies which are not very noticeable - but fly low to the ground, hence legs are often the site for bites.

Doctors familiar with Blandford fly bites suggest the following treatments:

Clean the bite wound with soap and water and dry gently

Creams that contain camomile lotion, steroid cream or anaesthetic can soothe the pain of a bite, as can an antihistamine tablet. Do not apply cream or ointment to broken skin and always follow the instructions on the packet. Even though it may be itchy, try to avoid scratching the bite because you may damage the skin and allow bacteria to get in

Redness and irritation are common and should settle within a few days with these measures

Secondary infection is less common. If you notice red lines appearing on the skin or enlarged lymph nodes (swelling) in your armpit or groin, seek medical advice.

It is seasonally late for Blandford flies - but the strangely out of season weather may be responsible. The larvae live in water - of which we have had quite a lot recently.

The key problem with any bites is secondary infection - where the bite is scratched and secondary infections introduced.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it gets any bigger or he starts to feel unwell

> get to the doctor pronto as it could be cellulitis

> which is a bacterial infection for which he'd need

> antibiotics. The fact that it is hot indicates it

> may be this.

xxxxxx

Also that it isn't itchy - I thought bites were usually itchy?

I was bitten a month or so ago, left with swelling on my knee for a couple of days which became itchy. The only way it went down, was to use a cotton pad with malt vinegar which reduced the swelling.

My mother has been bitten by these pesky things at least once a week.

some of you took days off work just from a mosquot bite??? yes thay swell up and itch...its a mosquot bite! went to the doctors as well!..no wonder my GP looks on edge when he has to deal with grown adults pi**ing about because thay got a itchy bite!...