Card fraud after using 2012 Olympic site

I registered for tickets, as did my partner, when they were first advertised on the proper Olympic website. We only managed to get Hockey (I bought those on my account) and Paralympics (he bought those on his account he set up). You have to set up an account on the site to be able to purchase tickets. In the last few days there has been all this news about extra seats so last night we both logged on separately on two different laptops and with two different password/accounts to see if we could get any tickets. No luck at all and so we logged off.

This morning he receives a call from his bank (Santander) about some strange transactions that happened around midnight last night - two for 50p and then one for ?107 for clothes - all purchased on line. Anyhow he confirmed that were not his purchases and his card was stopped.

Within half an hour of his call, I receive a phone call from Barclaycard asking about four transactions again made around midnight last night. The first 3 for ?10 were put through but the bigger one for almost ?1000 was thankfully declined. They haven now stopped the card.

This is so odd because we have no joint accounts whatsoever so apart from this website there is nothing to connect us.

I hardly ever use my BC and this year have only used it for the olympic tickets and Amazon. My partner does not use his card much either. What I cannot understand is how did they not only have our complete card number, but the expiration dates and the security number on the back. All the transactions were done over the internet. I have searched today to see if this has happened to anyone else but cannot find anything.

It does seem odd that the only site we were on last night was the official 2012 olympic site and now this has happened. Incidentally the transactions were done from the UK.

Anyone got any thoughts on how this could have happened. We have checked our PC's for virus but none are showing and we have firewalls etc.

Thanks

I asume you were using two computers on a single local network. If it was wireless, I assume it's secure? The first thing I'd check would be that you'd accessed a real official website, with a domain name ending london2012.com, rather than one masquerading as it. Did you each click a link (if so, obtained how?) or enter the URL by hand? A check of your browsers' histories or caches should get you identity of the URL(s) you accessed.

It's worth highlighting that we had similar threads in the past throwing blame on any manner of culprits, and it turned out it was all the Texaco garage from the previous 9 months.

The fact that they cashed them on a particular date was irrelevant.

Everybody was saying 'last week this' or that. Nowt to do with it.

• 3 weeks later...
An elderly friend had a call from her bank saying something similar but it turned out it was a scam and not the bank. They told her to call the police which she did but they didn't hang up and then they pretended to be the police and took her name and address. I expect this may not have happened to you but thought I would mention the scam here just in case it happens to someone else.