Nunhead - Opinions

djw

Dear All

My partner and I are looking to sell our place in ED and are thinking about moving over to Nunhead, in particular the Ivydale Road area.

The driver behind this is property prices and what we achieve for our money over that way compared to ED (but I don?t want this to be a property prices moan thread). We would prefer to stay in ED, hands down.

I just wanted to see what peoples opinion is about living in that area and the relevant convenience. ie. coming back to Lordship Lane and the shops etc. Also, what its like living in that area, ie. shops, commuting, social etc.

It would be especially great to hear from people that have also made the move.

Thanks in advance

djw

I think one of the reasons why Nunhead is cheaper is due to it's lack of public transport links. The rail station has an infrequent service into London, with 2 trains per hour to Victoria (except evenings and Sundays) or 2 trains per hour to Kentish Town (Blackfriars evenings and Sundays). Otherwise it's the 78 which connects to Peckham or the P12 to Surrey Quays. I suspect those who don't rely on Nunhead station use the buses to Peckham Rye to connect to other rail services. New Cross Gate and Brockley stations are in walking distance of parts of Nunhead which are on the Overground.

To travel to ED, you're better off walking from the end of Nunhead Lane down East Dulwich Road to Goose Green than waiting for two buses.

There are also the 343 and 484 Bic depending on which end of Nunhead you are in, and tbf not all areas af ED are well served for transport without a more than short walk. Gentrification is the main reason for the ED revival over the past 15 years more than anything else. Car ownership is just as high in ED as anywhere else too so I'm not sure the selection of bus routes has much of a bearing. I would argue that gentrification was driven by middle classes being outpriced from areas they'd ideally like, looking for affordable up and coming areas. The recent series 'secret history of our streets' highlighted the economic cycles of residential areas in this way perfectly. It also stands to reason, if Nunhead becomes the new alternative to the peak pricing of ED, that it too will see an move towards gentrification.

I think Nunhead has already seen moves towards gentrification. There are obviously new residents who are fairly affluent (i.e. good income but can't afford a 600K house). Businesses are springing up to cater to that demographic, houses are being renovated, etc.

Thanks all. From looking at housing prices in 2010 - 2012 and the jump, there is a clear swing towards the Ivydale end of Nunhead which is great and long may it continue!

I will celebrate when the one of the pubs in that area is dolled up a bit, as there seems to be a lot of demand from the community and that is a clear gentrification swing. ie Most of Lordship Lane over the last ten years.

My initial question above comes from my fear of change! My partner and I have lived centrally in ED for some 7 years, so moving to Nunhead will be a change. Commuting to work isn't too much of an issue as 90% of the time I cycle, but the Mrs is a stay at home Mum now and I want her to be able to still have all the conveniences etc. and not be lonely in a new area.

It concerns me a little about the lack of shops and less trains, but there will always be a sacrifice to make when you are saving over ?200k on a house, so I can't complain. I'm just looking for reassurance.

My Dad has always said, when you see skips on the road, that means it?s up and coming fast! Which is what I saw in ED when I arrived and seems to be the trend in Nunhead!

I would just implore ED business owners, open a second shop, open a new pub and take the opportunity!

Come over, we're just as friendly. Ivydale is a long road, doesn't have a nice long shopping street nearby. This could be a problem if you want that. Nunhead Cemetery is your beautiful front yard, and Evelina Road on the north side is just lovely too. It may be more peaceful. But that depends on neighbours!

We moved over to Nunhead last year & haven't looked back, still come over to ED for main shop/sainsburys, Hubbie commutes into the city from Brockley station (less than 15mins walk & on ELL + overland to LB). am also similar distance over the footbridge to Crofton Park (Blackfriers/Victoria) if not up for walking the 343 gets you to New Cross Gate in 10mins. 484 is pretty rubbish (infrequent & difficult with anything other than a narrow buggy if you've got young kids) so normally walk over the Rye to ED (& have a virtuous glow) within 25mins (door to NCR with buggy in tow).

Ivydale is our closest school but watching with interest the effects of the bulge class (nursery intake is made up of siblings this year :0 ), however also curious that Haberdasher Askes is opening a primary school in the next year.

What really sold the area to us is the green spaces which surround us (meaning we're not a cut through anywhere) meaning its much more peaceful than ED was (we were on Friern Rd prev) and the dimensions of the house - much bigger than you typically find in ED terraces - 3 big double bedrooms & an upstairs bathroom!

Ivydale School is our likely choice and the house we are looking at is within only a few meters. Any idea of how restictive the intake is? I here 200m was muted.

Thank you for the feedback buggie an DJKillaQueen, thats really helpful and reassuring.

Djw - no we don't, think we're equidistance from Nunhead/Brockley/Crofton Park, hubbie either walks to Brockley or gets bus to/from Peckham & I use the 484 for my commute to Camberwell. CP works well for me if travelling with toddler as step free. If we were closer to Nunhead we would use it but we're pretty close to the footbridge so CP is as viable an option.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also tend to think Nunhead is less pretentious

> than ED. It's a gentrification without snobbery,

> and I like that. I know of several parents

> involved with Ivydale school and I get the

> impression it is a well run school. I think it

> would be a good move djw.

I agree, Nunhead is less pretentious than ED. I'll doubt none of chains will move into the area. So hopefully there'll be no silly threads from style challenged people asking for a M&S shop in Nunhead.

The houses are nice enough

There's very little not to like, other than it is a little quiet compared to ED

I lived in Clapham South, then ED for a while and now live in Upper Sydenham

Thing is; these areas are much of a muchness. Classic Victorian/Edwardian terraced or semmi-d's.

London's full of them: Earlsfield, Wandsworth , Clapham south, East Dulwich, Nunhead

Blandsville gentrified dormitories for the child bearing professional classes

Yady-ya- Farrow & Ball

Horses for courses

I don't mean to be mean. Just depends where you're at in life

I swapped Raving for Paving

Love it-my kids are happy

Netts

Not sure I'd lump Nunhead in with Wandsworth/Clapham/ED in the gamut of gentrified South London suburbs. Let's be honest, it is a bit of a scruffy area with not many facilities (does it even have a restaurant?). Sure, it does appear to be on the up, but it's early days.

Jeremy, agreed but prices reflect that. Ww 600 per sf, Fulham 800, clapham don't know. Nunhead - 350ish? Correct me if I am a bit out of date.

What do people think about the fact that interest rates will rise at some point and generate massive defaults on mortgages and repossessions? This is obviously more likely to be a factor in some places than others.

Interest rates are a long way off rising for 1. And the basics are, don't take on a mortgage you cant afford if rates rise by minimum 2%.

But lets stay on topic. Whats the deal with The Ivy House in Nunhead. Does anyone know if it is being replaced? If it is, this could really change the area for the better. Come on Capital Pubs! Do another land grab.

west dulwich or forest hill or honor oak .

Might be a better bet in future values over NH.

Id try and stay in ED as ED would still outstrip most other areas over the next 10 years it's still a long way from being fully valued.

M&S or no M&S ...

I've been here quite a while and done well out of ED. Time for a change. FOH is now getting toppy I feel as is HO given the size of the places on offer i've seen (around the stations). West Dulwich is not a cheap area and hasn't been for a while, unless you go into Norwood/Tulse Hill.

ED will continue to rise, but it will become more incremental than 10-20% a year. All personal preference though. NH offers large Victorian houses that are now out of my range in other areas. You have to take a bet sometimes. Thats what I did with ED when mates were telling me to stay SW, but the gamble has come off.