Burglary on Barry Rd last night

Last night I came home from work to find my key would not unlock my door, as if someone had flicked the switch on the dead lock from inside the property. I assumed the lock had jammed so called a locksmith out. When he finally managed to drill out the lock and get us inside, I discovered the place had been ransacked. Several items have been taken, including a desktop iMac, a very old macbook pro, digital camera etc. I rang the police straight away and they promised to have a car out to me within the hour but they rang back 90 mins later to say they were too busy and made an 'appintment' with me for this afternoon. To say I'm disappointed is putting it lightly - they really let me down last night.

Please be vigilant. I would hate for anyone else to go through this, though it seems

To be happening all the time around here lately.

x

The police dusted for prints but it's clear the culprit/s wore gloves. They gained access through my back garden and through the kitchen window from there. There is building work being done next door, I think they might have accessed my garden via the neighbour's side alley. Not sure. Horrible thinking about it tbh.

Strawbs, thanks for your reply. It's an awful feeling to be afraid of being in your own home.

When the police did arrive the next day, they were rather taken aback when they realised a break-in had taken lace as the incident had been reported as an ATTEMPTED break in. I wonder if this is why it wasn't considered important enough to come round on Saturday night, though I was very clear when I rang to report the burglary as soon as I got in. Really unimpressed. If they'd come round they could potentially have noticed anyone suspicious in the area or searched for a stash of stolen property etc.

Anyway - stay safe everyone. xx

Sorry to hear about the crime but it does seem to be on the increase.

About 75% of all burglaries feature access from the rear of the property.

The first thing the scrotes do is put the snib up on the front door lock so they don't get disturbed whilst they loot your gaffe.

They start upstairs and work their way down.

They know where to look for hidden valuables. You may think it's hidden, but they know ALL the quaint places!

They go for money,jewelry, mobiles, ipads, ipods and laptops - in that order.

It all must fit in a backpack.

They will be in and out inside 4-5 minutes.

Put your valuables in a small safe. They cost around 50 quid and they simply bolt onto a wall. Well worth it!

They trade the info on the job to other crims.

They (or their mates) will do a repeat when the victim has replaced all the goodies that were nicked because they know it will be the latest models.

Here are a few essential tips.

1. Have visible deterrence eg camera, sensors and lights - both front and especially rear.

2. Make ingress and egress to the rear garden as difficult as possible.

3. Cut back foliage so that your neighbours can see into your front & rear areas.

4. Have a working alarm with a dialler.

5. Install an alarm.

6. Have a repeat alarm sounder at the rear. (Not just a dummy)

7. Mortice lock all external doors.

8. Make sure your door lock is not remotely accessible via the letter box or cat flap.

I've been a burglary victim before but never since I adopted the above measures.

Tom

Thanks for the advice, Tom. They all look like sensible tips. I will look into a safe, however I now have nothing of value to keep in it as the scrotes have taken it all. Some things could be replaced but I can't see any point in replacing items such as jewellery as eventually it will just be stolen. That's how I feel at the moment. All I'd really like to replace is the two necklaces given to me by my godfather for my Christening, and that's impossible. In terms of securing the property, those are all things I'd like to do. Unfortunately I'm renting so it would most likely come out of my pocket and whilst I can't put a price on my personal security, I do resent pouring money into a property that I don't own and won't be in for a long time. On that note, I am reconsidering staying in this flat now. I love it but it doesn't feel like my home anymore and I'm terrified of the intruders (or their mates) coming back. Even moreso now that you've suggested they will return for a 2nd hit once I've replaced everything. Not surprised though, my Dad warned me about this earlier today as well.

I love East Dulwich but only moved from Guildford to London a year ago and it's taken me this long to find my feet up here. I know burglaries can and do happen everywhere, but I can't help but feel like I'm much more at risk of being a victim of crime in London - even in lovely, 'sleepy' East Dulwich.

I really feel for you...what a hideous thing to have happened. I know this may sound really silly but I am also a little freaked out about the burlgaries of late. 2 of my very close nighbours have been burgled recently. Another much cheaper deterrent is to get a sign somehwere which indicates you have dogs. My friend and I both have them in the window. It is surprsing how people think twice when there is a chance you have guard dogs. Just a thought...

Thanks Tallulah. I'm sure it does help! Maybe i'll get one with a picture of an alsation on it... except I'm sure the thieves will tell their mates there was no guard dog and I'm expecting the same culprits or their chums to come back. As it happens I have a 14 wk old spaniel pup but I think she's a bit little to have done any guarding the other night. I was certain they'd have taken her or she'd run away but I found her trembling under the bedside table. x

I feel for you, I was broken in to in January and cannot replace the sentimental items that were taken. OR the photso on the camera. It made me feel so uncomfortable in my own home. There are a lot of low lifes about in this area and I have to say, I cannot wait to move out of London in general as wherever you go, there seem to be a high ratio of idiots about. They caught the man that broke in to mine, his 18th conviction - he wanted to go back to prison, life is better in there for him - that is what I was told. Way I look at it, if you steal, cut your hand off. Simple. May deter some of the idiots out there that steal as they are too lazy to work and save and buy things like the rest of us. Plenty of DSS benefits people out there that could work. Makes me mad. Sorry, rant over!

I feel for you too. How horrible to experience that and feel unsafe. I too was broken into, last year. Unfortunately some of it was my fault. I share an entrance with upstairs and I have lived here for 5 years and we never used to double lock the main door! I appreciate how completely stupid this is and looking back we naively never really thought of the security risk! STUPID! Well, we kept 2 bikes in the small hall. One morning I woke to find that someone had smashed a tiny corner in the door glass, reached through the tiny gap and opened the door, stole the most expensive bike and rode off, leaving the main door open! What I found a bit creepy was that this person knew exactly what they were looking for and must have been watching our movements and knew which bike to take. All completely my fault I know! I certainly shouldn't have given anyone any opportunity. Lots of lesson learned that day. We now double lock the door, we have security lighting and we certainly don't leave expensive bikes in the hall! Thankfully they didn't get into mine or the upstairs' flat.

It took a while for me to feel comfortable in my home after and I certainly don't compare my experience to others in this thread as they didn't enter my property and I might have prevented the theft. I just hope BecsBex (and puppy) is able to move on from this.

This is absolutely awful and I really really feel for you.

I'm sorry to get so 'p.c' though, but buntysammy, you're comment on Dss benefits is really quite offensive. Dss benefits means housing benefits and you'll find that most people who claim housing benefits ARE actually in work, and furthermore are certainly not criminals!!! I'm sorry but I don't like what you've implied here. Let's not get confused by people claiming benefits, whether you think they deserve them or not, to criminals please!

My heart really does go out to you BecsBex.

I also apologise for being pedantic, but benefits to people who are out of work are administered by the Dept of Work & Pensions (DWP) & do not include housing benefits. Housing benefits are a separate benefit,administered by the Local Authority.

I know how horrible it is to have this happenn to you, with us they broke while we were sleeping. It was my husbands first night home after working away for two weeks. I dread to think what would of happened if he hadn't been home. At the time we had a yale lock and a chub lock but only used the chub when we went out. now the chub and yale are both locked wether I am in or not and we installed window locks and restricters on all windows. We were lucky they only got my handbag and my husbands wallet which were both on the hall table. I did wake up and chase the guy down the street but couldn't catch him ( It was 3am) It took me a very long time to feel safe in my home again.

buntysammy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They caught the man

> that broke in to mine, his 18th conviction - he

> wanted to go back to prison, life is better in

> there for him - that is what I was told. Way I

> look at it, if you steal, cut your hand off.

> Simple. May deter some of the idiots out there

> that steal as they are too lazy to work and save

> and buy things like the rest of us. Plenty of DSS

> benefits people out there that could work. Makes

> me mad. Sorry, rant over!

Life is better in prison?? Are you serious? Cut his hands off?? How do you feel about stoning people to death for alleged adultery? I detest thieves but I would include bankers who caused the crisis and still rob us with their obscene bonuses and MP?s with their expenses. Before you slate people on benefits maybe you should try it, it?s bloody tough.

My sympathy to the OP.

See this; http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?27,932073

> They caught the man

> that broke in to mine, his 18th conviction - he

> wanted to go back to prison, life is better in

> there for him - that is what I was told. Way I

> look at it, if you steal, cut your hand off.

> Simple. May deter some of the idiots out there

> that steal as they are too lazy to work and save

> and buy things like the rest of us. Plenty of DSS

> benefits people out there that could work. Makes

> me mad. Sorry, rant over!

No. I do not accept your apology for your "rant". Do you really want to live in a country where they cut off the hands of thieves? You disgust me.