LTN: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3

bobbsy

I don?t disagree with you more is needed not less to encourage alternative modes of travel.

I can?t comment on whether traffic figures have been manipulated because I dint have access to that information. What I do know based in TFL figures is that traffic on main roads has decreased over the last decade and at the same time, over the same period it has increased on residential roads. The Dulwich Alliance/ One Dulwich web site claims traffic has not increased over the past decade which is simply false.

We need to look at the next 10 to 20 years to work towards a solution across London to reduce traffic on all roads and the only way to do this is to encourage ordinary people out of their cars and put their bums on saddles. Dulwich is in an amazing position to contribute; we have more disposable income, larger than some houses, garages, gardens and so on to make alternative choices eg store bikes, purchase an electric bike/cargo bike and so on. This will make room for those who need to travel by car.

The Dulwich Alliance brigade have resorted to scaremongering and distorting the truth. The ambulance and woman talking at the DV junction I was told was that she had a dizzy spell and ambulance was called and when it arrived she was feeling better. Now this may or may not be the case but unless someone has the facts that the circumstances confirmed, this image should not be used to scare people. The ambulance service has confirmed they are meeting their targets.

I don?t understand your justification for giving up your commute by bike as there is a great network of quiet residential streets that can take you from Dulwich to the city or Westminster without getting caught up in congestion. If your female get in touch with Joyriders.com who are running bike rides not the city during commuting hours.

I would also encourage people to contact Peddleme.com who will make deliveries on your behalf, pick up children in their cargo bikes or pick up parcels. They would be a great service for the shops who say they can?t get/make deliveries. The owner of Peddle me recently said they would give shops a free go to demonstrate their efficiency.

Rather than moaning I wish people would look to the future and say ? how can I help to make this work for me, my children and grandchildren?. This is about the future not now.

I don't drive - I don't own a car. I walk where I can, although less so recently as the displaced traffic is now crammed into many of my usual walking routs e.g. Underhill Rd. I live on Lordship Lane - have done so for a few years. Since the road closures have been introduced the traffic has been much worse and so has the air pollution and noise.

Closing roads benefits a handful of people who live on those roads and perhaps a few cyclists who use them for 15 minutes every day - others have to put up with the consequences of the so-called LTNs seven days a week.

Try to get off your high horse and put yourself into other peoples' shoes - if you are capable of doing so that is.

KrackersMaracas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tone deaf& insensitive slogan choice, as called

> out by dogkennelhillbilly ... probably tells you

> all you need to know about the group of people who

> are part of this ?alliance?.

Well, all streets DO matter chum. If you live on East Dulwich Grove or Croxted Road, your lives for several hours a day are a miserable polluted wreck. If you live where I do, peace and quiet and the sound of birdsong. But I think: share this out. One street is no better than another and if you are hearing and smelling traffic half the day yes you are going to be racked off.

EDguy89 Wrote:

> Oof.

>

> "All Streets Matter" Really not a sympathetic

> slogan.

>

> They should really reconsider if they're actually

> interested in getting more support.

It looks as if there is something on twitter. But the message was passed by others - Ealing MP in particular. Agree though not the best slogan to use even if you are talking about equality of air quality.

So what is the problem with the slogan?

Is it that all streets do not actually matter therefore it?s innacurate ?

Is it that the slogan is too similar to ?black lives matter? slogan and if so, what harm does that do / is someone saying it?s disrespectful to the black community ?

Is it that it?s just not cool and original enough ?

No, it?s that it?s too similar to ?all lives matter?, a slogan associated with white supremacists and the alt-right, intended to dismiss and diminish the Black Lives Matter movement.

KidKruger Wrote:

> So what is the problem with the slogan?

> Is it that all streets do not actually matter

> therefore it?s innacurate ?

> Is it that the slogan is too similar to ?black

> lives matter? slogan and if so, what harm does

> that do / is someone saying it?s disrespectful to

> the black community ?

> Is it that it?s just not cool and original enough

> ?

Oh, OK thanks KM.

That?s what I meant to type actually, ALM, rather than BLM !

But the obvious difference between ALM and All Streets Matter is that one is not white supremacists tying to obfuscate sympathy and support for a clearly abused and underprivileged portion of society.

In this situation (street utilisation) all streets do matter don?t they - it?s the whole anti-LTN point isn?t it ?!

Woke becomes Joke, when white supremacists are given primacy over unrelated issues expressed in our language.

KrackersMaracas Wrote:

> No, it?s that it?s too similar to ?all lives

> matter?, a slogan associated with white

> supremacists and the alt-right, intended to

> dismiss and diminish the Black Lives Matter

> movement.

>

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So what is the problem with the slogan?

> > Is it that all streets do not actually matter

> > therefore it?s innacurate ?

> > Is it that the slogan is too similar to ?black

> > lives matter? slogan and if so, what harm does

> > that do / is someone saying it?s disrespectful

> to

> > the black community ?

> > Is it that it?s just not cool and original

> enough

> > ?

I would say it is obvious that it doesn't diminish BLM. If you look at the Go Fund Me it says they'll give any left over funds to the Ella Roberta Family Foundation. So keep calm.

It isn't the greatest design in the world, but it says "all streets matter' as a BLM supporter I can work out the difference between a white supremacist slogan and a slogan that is trying to state that people living on boundary roads have lives that are also worth protecting from pollution.

But really......trying to smear people who just want access to clean air as "supporters of racist groups" - now that is something that some people need to have a bit of a word to themselves about.

Agree. The issue of policing language is a whole new thread. Let's keep this one to allocation of road/ lane/ avenue / crescent / square / grove / streetspace and associated active travel / public transport/ transport policy/ air quality issues. Plenty to keep us all occupied. *

*although as someone who favours not policing language/ speech, far be it from me to tell people what they can post and where. Conflicted :)

heartblock Wrote:

> Rosamund Kissi Debra - "Asked why I don?t support

> LTNs? Bcos its slowly poisoning my kids &

> thousands more due to daily exposure to toxic air.

> I?m a mum of 3 & love them equally never choose.

> Supporting such a scheme means you support

> #lungapartheid. If your rd is clear, congestion

> has moved elsewhere"

So what do you suggest? What is the alternative? How do we encourage people out of their cars for unnecessary short journeys? What will London look and feel like in 20 years if we go back to what we had? How well will children e breathing then? What about the health of their children? I understand that change isn?t easy and appreciate we must work quickly to resolve the issues that have emerged but I need a response to the above if we are to go forward.

Boohoo, the current measures are not working. Perhaps this sort of radical change cannot happen quickly in the way you would like, unless, that is, one is willing to treat some other person's/ child's health as collateral damage - which seems to be the case.

A notable issue is school traffic. It is ironic that we keep hearing about children's lungs but some of the biggest 'offenders' in the polluting stakes are their parents. Unless the school system is modified so that only local kids go to local schools, I cannot see how the regular stream of polluting school drop-offs will ever change.

LTN BooHoo Wrote:

> heartblock Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Rosamund Kissi Debra - "Asked why I don?t

> support

> > LTNs? Bcos its slowly poisoning my kids &

> > thousands more due to daily exposure to toxic

> air.

> > I?m a mum of 3 & love them equally never

> choose.

> > Supporting such a scheme means you support

> > #lungapartheid. If your rd is clear, congestion

> > has moved elsewhere"

>

> So what do you suggest? What is the alternative?

> How do we encourage people out of their cars for

> unnecessary short journeys? What will London look

> and feel like in 20 years if we go back to what we

> had? How well will children e breathing then?

> What about the health of their children? I

> understand that change isn?t easy and appreciate

> we must work quickly to resolve the issues that

> have emerged but I need a response to the above

> if we are to go forward.

BooHoo, in 20 years time we will all be driving electric cars, so children's lungs and their health won't be effected

But at the moment, elderly, disabled and other lives are being made difficult with areas now no go zones to them because walking and cycling isn't an option.

LTNs aren't working as they push pollution away to other streets whilst making a privileged few feel smug in their Lycra 🤔

This is how to do it

?Copenhagen reported that 62% of its residents are now commuting to work or school by bike ? an increase from 52% in 2015 & 36% in 2012, when the City Council launched a 14-year-plan to improve the quality, safety & comfort of cycling.?

Spartacus I appreciate your enthusiasm but quite simply electric cars are not the answer. They still require power, batteries have to be dealt with and congestion will not disappear. Do we have 20 years??

We need to do more not less to protect this planet of ours. Eg We need serious road charging for all miles driven, safe routes to encourage walking and cycling. I don?t have the answers but I know doing nothing is not the direction of travel we should be going in.