LTN: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3

bobbsy

problem is that the council says it wants to know what people in the area think but doesnt deliver leaflets to them. so no one hears about the review or knows its happening. meanwhile local councillor retweets call to people passing through who might not know about eg traffic now clogging up neighboring roads to take part.

this isnt the transparnet consultation promised

Bicknell - you are spot on. The council is playing a numbers game and trying to drum up as much positive support for the LTNs as possible (often from outside the area) whilst at the same time making a shambles of delivering leaflets to households who live within the area that are living with the displacement caused by the LTNs.

They must know that in a fair fight they lose. They are probably terrified of the review heading in the same direction as the 68% of residents who opposed the CPZ and know full well they would struggle to justify keeping the LTNs if a similar result was seen this time. They probably also know from the data they are seeing from the roads that displacement and increased congestion and pollution is happening and so they need to have an overwhelming number of people supporting LTNs to have a chance of keeping them.

They are doing their utmost to try an skew the results in their favour.

Could someone check if this is true? It just that I still haven?t received a leaflet about LTN consultation and there are still no air pollution monitors on ED Grove due to the ?cost?. ?tomorrow two ?parklets? will be erected in Dulwich Village, one outside Romeo & Jones and one in ?Dulwich Square? ?20k a pop? as seen on a Twitter account. I don?t know if it is a true statement.

A friend forwarded me something from his residents' association sent earlier today. It says these are going in, the one outside Romeo Jones is six feet out from the kerb according to that. It quotes Cllr Leeming:

"While Margy and I, and the council more generally, fully believe in the role of wide consultation to build legitimacy for projects, that doesn't prevent us from delivering things which are within our statutory powers, and for which we have a democratic mandate. The 'parklets' fall well within that - we are allowed to do it, they're low cost, and we consulted the people most directly affected". There are some plans attached. Will see if I can post. I assume the RA isn't inventing this!

Meanwhile the traffic in Dulwich Village was awful post-closure window this evening. Not sure whether there?s something additional causing this today? Acrid air (I know other streets have this much worse, but DV is a loser in this as well I think, as normal patterns of life resume).

legalalien Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Meanwhile the traffic in Dulwich Village was awful

> post-closure window this evening. Not sure whether

> there?s something additional causing this today?

> Acrid air (I know other streets have this much

> worse, but DV is a loser in this as well I think,

> as normal patterns of life resume).

One of the many over looked facts is that Dulwich is a bit of an oddity in that there are only 3 routes across it - The South Circular, Dulwich Village and Herne Hill/Village Way. With one of these now closed, all it takes are road works, a breakdown or an accident to bring the whole creaking mess to a halt. Which happens on a regular basis now.

I made the mistake of returning to Dulwich the other afternoon and hit the whole shebang and spent 40+ minutes on the final leg of my journey that historically would have take 10-15 minutes at that time of day. But hey our Labour overlords know best.

I've voted Green in the last couple of elections but they're proving to be as bonkers as Labour. Anyone know who we could vote for next time round that might know their A from their E??

Yes a party with environmental credentials - greens or Libdems. Tories speak about the environment, yet lead it to Labour councils to enact.

The alternative is to move to an outer London Tory Borough, none of this nonsense of LTNs and 20mph zones, plenty of space in your front drive for several vehicles.

The LTNs are doing what many of us feared they would, creating a car free nirvana in some areas whilst creating car hell around it. The traffic on the A205, Croxted Road, East Dulwich Grove, Lordship Lane, Underhill Road is awful, especially since the most recent lockdown lifting, and I very much suspect that the change in narrative from some councillors about some roads being built to handle more traffic is a clear sign of the way they are going to try and justify the hell they are creating for the large majority of their constituents......

I?ve just cycled through Dulwich Village and I have to say that the new benches are actually going to be a danger for cyclists. There is effectively only one side of the road that cyclists going both ways will have to share just in front of the planters. Some people come flying down the hill on Calton Avenue and this will be an accident waiting to happen as those coming towards Calton Ave from Dulwich Village will move into their way. Never mind that it gives pedestrians a false sense of security as the area has not be pedestrianised and is still a road for bikes

Took a look at these hazards. In the way, and unprotected, no new signage to warn cyclists they are going to have to squeeze between just two planters. They are very good quality and in the right place I'm sure would be an asset to the streetscape or whatever Southwark Council call it.

But why couldn't the Highways Department put them where people want them? I reckon a few loud mouths have created a feeling that everyone is in favour, but don't be fooled!

I don't think Southwark putting a few benches and a parklet in the Village will make people feel better about their streets when residents on Croxted Rd, East Dulwich Grove, and Lordship Lane are actually suffering.

Seems as if the councillors of Southwark (and Lambeth) just do not give a flying fig for these VOTERS.

I think Alice is right, for Dulwich Village it was never about cyclists or clean air for all residents ... it was for very rich people to have access to all that a large city provides, cleaners, gardeners, Waitrose delivery, wine shops, sourdough, expensive restaurants, excellent private education, private areas for parking the second car - while living the life in an exclusive area, as close to a rural Village as possible...and they don?t give a flying fig for anyone who suffers from displaced traffic. Croxted Rd and Lordship Lane residents do not matter to the Villagers.

LTN's and the consultation process have been all over the TV news, print news, leaflets, shop windows, internets etc for the past year

Just to make sure everyone is aware of the process, perhaps southwark should pay for a gorillagram to personally deliver the leaflet to every household in south London?

Of course, you would then be the first to moan about the cost of consultation

Rockets Wrote:

> They have to do a better job of communicating with

> everyone on this. We are all aware of the review

> but many people have no clue it is going on and so

> will not have an opportunity to give their input.

> I suspect the council is more than happy with this

> as they know this is going to become a numbers

> game and if the weight of public opinion is

> against them then it becomes more and more

> difficult to justify.

>

> It's clear that everyone who lives on one of the

> roads on the pulldown menus (but remember the

> fight many of us had to put up to have our roads

> added) should also receive the leaflet as a matter

> of course.

richard tudor Wrote:

> Speaking with a friend he told me that his son who

> lives outside of london but has been coming

> through DV for the past 8 days has just been

> informed that he has been fined on every day. He

> had no idea you could not go north.

>

> He said he did not see the signs and just followed

> the flow of traffic. When he was told told he

> looked and said it was impossible to see these

> signs unless you were looking for them.

>

> So 8 days pay going to Southwark in fines to keep

> Dulwich residents in their bubble of peace.

>

> Just how much is this scheme fleecing people?

There are many idiot drivers who speed and drive dangerously, does he blindly follow them?

Just tell him it's a new government tax on the inattentive, the signs are perfectly visible and easily comprehended if driver is fully engaged and concentrating. If he feels differently, then he has the right to fromally object and lie that he couldn't see the sign even though in truth he wasn't looking in the first place.