Strange goings on in ED/Peckham

Strange goings on in ED and Peckham this morning. Whilst travelling on the No 12 bus I couldn?t help noticing how clean the roads looked. Road sweepers were out in droves picking up litter, cleaning signs and washing down the pavement.

I wondered what was going on, had I stumbled into an alternate universe? Then I remembered that the Olympic torch is on it?s way to Peckham.

If only....

They were also cleaning up that strange open space in front of the library ? I still haven?t discover its purpose although its been there for at least ten years. Apart from the odd Sunday market, has it ever been put to any good use?

In the name of all that's good and holy...

wouldn't you just love to be stuck next to this lot in an old folks home when you can't even get away from them

at least Stadler and Waldorf were occassionaly amusing

But maybe they are right, maybe we shouldn't scrub up a bit when the world's cameras are pointed at us

"But if they can clean up now why don't they clean up all the time???"

Beacause the natives are a bunch of ingrates who mess up the place and yet whine intolerably whenever a council tries to change their behaviour by issuing fines

Are you the type of ingrate who messes up a place and whines intolerably when you are caught and issued with a fine StraferJack? Or were you referring to the thousands of tax payers in Peckham who you feel shouldn't make a fuss when forced to wade through rubbish 24/7, except on the one occasion when the world's cameras are being pointed in our direction.

I make no apologies for thinking that if if the area can be cleaned up for the cameras, then it can be cleaned up for the residents.

ilondoner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I make no apologies for thinking that if if the

> area can be cleaned up for the cameras, then it

> can be cleaned up for the residents.

Quiet Right...

The Day is very near when Tourists will only be allowed to Visit areas The Authorities want people to see.

After the Olympics, I feel Peckham will not be one of them.

Fox.

Nope - I'm all for whatever it takes for an area to be litter-free

Litter is a subject that has come up many times on the forum (do a search for erm... "litter") since it started and I've always been pro strong action on littering

But given how resistant many litterers are to being fined, and unwilling to change their behaviour, we are still faced with the choice of "do we pick up their mess every time they can't be arsed" - which is very expensive. Or do we accept a clean up job for something as high profile as this?

I think that Southwark council is rather good on litter picking and I don't believe that they were out in force solely because the Olympic torch was passing through. If you think any area is looking messy you can ring 7525 2000 to report it and get it cleaned up.

ilondoner

the strange open space in front of the library was put in place to help regenerate the area by making it more open and therefore accessable. They have recently done the same thing to the elephant and castle which after the regeneration seems like a nicer place to be in than previously. They dont have to use it but Its good that its there.

Travelling on the No 12 this morning via ED-Peckham-Camberwell, I noticed an increase in the amount of litter on the streets. Is this a result of school holidays?

There wasn't a street cleaner in sight.

Oh what a difference a flame makes.