ED Folk Club again

Sue

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh what a week!

The meeting on Sunday for interested people is back to 4PM AT THE PLOUGH, sorry for any confusion - please PM me if you'd like further details, otherwise just turn up and find us if you'd like to help out with the folk club or woud like to find out more :)

Things are moving fast and furious, John Kirkpatrick and Tim van Eyken booked so far, Dave Swarbrick and Alasdair Roberts we will hear next week, watch this space !!!!

Tell all your friends!!!

First night will be 28 March and we need loads of punters to make sure the night is a success and we run and run :)-D

YES!!!!!

We have Dave Swarbrick, folk legend extraordinaire, booked for our opening night - 28 March upstairs at the EDT !!!!!!

ex Fairport Convention, but maybe best known for his amazing gigs/albums with Martin Carthy, possibly the only folk musician (or indeed anyone) to have had an obituary printed in the Daily Telegraph (sic) whilst, erm, not actually dead - duh.

:))

If you were there or wish you had been there, this will be amazing - and floorspots and Folk2Future (Big Chill) deejaying too!

And food! And a late bar till midnight with chilled music!!

AAAARRRGGGHHH not sure I'm supposed to be doing this on this thread, but hey! It's exciting!

Folkies and would-be-folkies, watch this space!!!

Folk is coming back to East Dulwich !! :)-D

From the hammered dulcimer to the laptop :)-D

And we have so many people, from Martin Carthy via Alasdair Roberts and Jackie Oates to Tunng all keen to come to the EDT !!!!

YAY !!!!!!

:)-D

Oh and PS, The Goose is Out - look out for the Goose !!

(tu)

Tickets will be available in advance, more info soon

OK folkies and would-be-folkies, we now have the first five folk gigs confirmed upstairs@the EDT - tickets available soon :)

28 March - Dave Swarbrick (ex Fairport)

25 April - John Kirkpatrick (ex Steeleye Span and brilliant musician and entertainer)

23 May - The Woodentops (special acoustic set !)

20 June- Tim van Eyken (bonkersfolk - Twelve Joys of Mary with an oompah band, anyone? Actually anyone know of an oompah band in ED we could borrow for the night?! Apart from doing bonkers interpretations of songs, Tim is an acclaimed award-winning traditional singer and musician)

18 July - Jackie Oates (sublime. And we had to have a girlie after all those blokes)

All these are on Friday nights.

There will be Folk2Future DJs from 7-8pm, live music (including floor singers) till 11pm, and more chilled DJing with a late bar till midnight. You will be able to book a table and there will be food available.

We're just producing the publicity, website etc - if you'd like to be put on the mailing list for information, please PM me - and tell all your friends, if these five are a success (fingers crossed) we will be carrying on after July.

In the meantime, look at our MySpace page on www.myspace.com/thegooseisout !

Anyone who's interested, please send me a personal message giving me your email address, and I'll put you on the e-mailing list.

Then you'll be sure not to miss the latest news (the website is in the course of construction but hopefully should be live shortly)

However you can be our friend on www.MySpace.com/thegooseisout, also in the course of construction but is at least live !!

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping that tickets for all the gigs will be available this weekend, just got to get the website live so all the publicity can kick off at the same time, you will be able to buy tickets in advance either online or at the edt, watch this space :)-D

The Goose Is Nearly Out! :)-D

******* hell, I can't believe we've done all this in a month !!!!!

If anybody could help out with putting round posters and/or flyers for the Goose at the weekend, that would be great, particularly if you live outside the immediate East Dulwich area (Peckham, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Camberwell, Dulwich Village etc etc) or could put up a poster in a college for example.

PM me and I'll arrange to get hard copies to you (or I can email them as jpegs if you can print them out cheaply yourself - they're all black and white).

But please only offer if you are sure you have the time and inclination - good intentions won't get our flyers round and we'd rather they were sitting at our place than yours. At least we'd know how many we had left :)

We might even buy you a thank-you pint on the opening night :)

• Administrator

Sue

I have explained this in a Private Message to you already but I will do again.

You are having an event, please post about it in the What's on section. You want someone to hand out flyers, please ask in the wanted section. Every time you post in this thread it rises to the top of the ED Issues and Gossip section, it is no longer an issue or gossip.

Your previous thread was Lounged for this reason, and I then de-lounged out of courtesy. I am now saying it is time for this thread to quietly slip away whilst you promote your events and tell everyone about it in the relevant section.

I hope you understand.

Just to set matters straight, I was told at the time by the administrator that my previous thread had been lounged because it had been up for a long time (five days), that Folk was a minority interest, and that the forum had to cater for majority tastes.

When it was lounged, it completely disappeared from its original thread with no indication that it had ever been there or that it had been lounged.

People told me they could not find it, and nor could I (I rarely go into the lounge as it says it is for issues unconnected with East Dulwich, which are not what I come to this forum for).

It was reinstated when I responded that I felt that the forum should be for everyone in East Dulwich not just the majority.

I am very happy to abide by forum rules, if they are clear and consistently applied, but let's be accurate about what's happening here.

The reason the folk events are not advertised in the Events section yet is because there have been problems with the website and until they are sorted I can't get the tickets on sale or the publicity out.

I have spent a great deal of time and energy on getting this on the road after sufficient people expressed an interest at the start to make it clear it could be viable, and it is very disappointing to have people squash my efforts by wanting me to split matters relating to the Folk events in several different threads all over the forum where interested people may not see them.

Edited to split up long paragraph

Genuine apologies to the administrator - thanks for your patience, and this will be the last post in this thread :)

It's just to let people who have been following the progress of the East Dulwich folk events in this section of the forum know that tickets for all the events, including our opening event with Dave Swarbrick, will be on sale TODAY - see my post in the "What's On" section of the forum for more details.

All future posts relating to the folk events will be in "What's On", as our website has - finally - gone live and we are starting putting publicity around.

My thanks to everyone who has supported this venture so far - if it hadn't been for your enthusiasm, this would never have been more than an idea which came to nothing.

:)