Stolen Bricks

In the early hours of this morning an entire pallet of bricks was stolen from outside my house (value approx ?750).

Has a pallet of bricks suddenly appeared on your street this morning? If yes, please would you PM me. Thanks.

Someone stole two massive terracotta planters from our very visible front garden on a pretty busy corner last Sunday or Monday. It must've taken two people to lift each of them. I was incredulous and incensed! My only comfort is that they were planted with fake bay trees which were just getting to be past their best and turning a giveaway blue-ish green. If anyone happens to spot them, please do let me know....

• 3 weeks later...
No CCTV coverage. The pallet was dragged to the corner of the next street (God only knows how many of them that took) and the bricks loaded into a van (I presume it was a van). The theft took place in the early hours of the morning.

Good grief what next? The front door? Poor you.

Norfolkvillas, sorry to hear also. Were these the trees that emit a toxic fumes after a while and which must have contaminated any vehicle used to transport them. Thieves be aware if you start having difficulty breathing for no reason.

'bout now Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Yeah I leave my car, too much to ask?

>

> Knob

Knob

Isn't your car locked with a key and alarmed?

Maybe if the bricks had been locked in a box.

Left in the road only a fool would be surprised they were stolen.

It was only a few years back that york stone slabs were being stolen from pavements.

It's very naive to think anything of value could be left on the road.

Maybe a few bags of sand could be left or some cheap concrete slabs.

But ?750 of bricks or a load of wood or bags of cement will get stolen.

Best to carry them through to where they would be safe behind a locked door "and even then"!

These scrotes have it down to a fine art. You may think it's too heavy to steal readily but these types go fully tooled up to steal. In both the above cases they would have used a hand pulled pallet lifter ie the type that has a hydraulic lifter and is fitted with rollers.

They were probably using hi-viz vests and would have used the pallet lifter to move the heavy object round the corner so that they could load up away from the scene.

There would be a minimum of three in the team with one staying in their small truck/van all the time ready to take off if there was a problem. The other two would split.

These guys have nothing else to do other than steal so they spend a great deal of time cruising around looking for opportunities and casing a likely opportunity. They will then come back later at the best time for them.

If they get caught (unlikely), then the courts will give them a slap on the wrist. They still get to claim benefits and they carry on stealing. They will earn more than most of us.

Goose Green - you're spot on. That's how these thefts are happening. That is exactly how mine was done. Most of us have made our homes secure but outside is easy-pickings and relatively risk-free for the thieves. Organised thieves are driving round our streets and lifting anything which isn't nailed down. To the idiots on here who think there's humour to be found in that; start another thread.

So how do we protect the outside of our houses? Do we all have to get CCTV? It's very sad if that's the future but the cameras are tiny and wireless these days so I'll get a couple if it's an effective deterrent? Is it though?

I'm having a new front gate made and I'm asking the blacksmith to engrave the name and address directly onto the gate so that it's visible. I was planning to put trees outside but I probably won't now, which is sad because it's less greenery in the street. Or should I get them and nail down the planters?