Are the trains getting busier?

The walking option is always fun... last year walking from camberwell to Vauxhall as no buses could go any further, due to a shooting in Peckham, when ur already running late for wot is predicted to be the busiest day of the year at work, so ur attempting to Power walk along the road... oh the muscles! *breathes*

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> JCTG - the fares didn't go up to make people use

> their cars - why would profit orientated private

> train companies want to do that????? They went up

> because commuters have no choice - if you add in

> congestion charge and parking a cars still far far

> more expensive. Are you mad?

No I'm not. For example, here's an extract from a Guardian article from June 2005:

"Britain's railways face an overcrowding crisis and a financial squeeze as they attempt to cope with a predicted 28% increase in passengers over the next decade, according to train operators.

The Association of Train Operating Companies (Atoc) will today warn that fares may have to go up to price people off the railways as more travellers attempt to use already packed inter-city and commuter services".

It's quite clear that huge fare increases are being used to price people off the railways and keep overcrowding under control. It's not the only reason the fares went up of course, but it's one of the main ones.

jctg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> No I'm not. For example, here's an extract from a

> Guardian article from June 2005:

>

> "Britain's railways face an overcrowding crisis

> and a financial squeeze as they attempt to cope

> with a predicted 28% increase in passengers over

> the next decade, according to train operators.

>

> The Association of Train Operating Companies

> (Atoc) will today warn that fares may have to go

> up to price people off the railways as more

> travellers attempt to use already packed

> inter-city and commuter services".

>

> It's quite clear that huge fare increases are

> being used to price people off the railways and

> keep overcrowding under control. It's not the only

> reason the fares went up of course, but it's one

> of the main ones.

What about those who can't afford cars and the congestion charge and who soon won't be able to afford the train?

Cassius - a glib answer would be if you can't afford ANY of them then it's time for a new job

Me I get the bus and combine with a length section of my commute as a walk - it does take me a bit longer and won't be possible for everyone but it's a pretty stress free combo - I always know exactly how long I'll be and I'm rarely stuck on transport for too long

The trains are packed round here everytime I have got one and they are very old which is unusual. I thought the standard would be higher round here.

I moved to East Dulwich to get away from having to get the tube to work. Hated it. I now get the 63 every morning - I love this bus I always get a seat as I get on where it starts!

I panic every evening when the train from London Bridge train to Honor Oak announces "Forest Hill" as the next stop. They forgot to record "Honor Oak Park" in the list of stations. Must get very confusing for everyone after Brockley, especially if you are feeling a bit dozy on the way home like me.

Man you guys complain about getting on at East Dulwich... imagine if you had to get on at South Bermondsey?! Although I usually cycle when I do get the train, it never ceases to amaze me how almost every time most people cannot get on the train there.

I do think why don't you just walk to London Bridge - can't be far?! I cycle down St. James' Road from Old Kent Road and it takes about 5 mins from there...

It's the same when you're carrying lots of things (instruments, luggage etc). Quite clearly you need room to move around or that you may b getting off before the majority of ppl do yet ppl get grrrr wiv you if you stand near to a door or refuse to move into an area that is going to cause more problems further along on the journey... do ppl not think? :|

The fact is that our trains are not designed with any consideration of people standing at all. The aisles aren't generally wide enough for people to pass one another, there is no room for any large items to be propped/stowed and this means that you're going to get in the way - I have nothing but sympathy for the people who get trains home in the evening with their bikes - not going to make them any friends.

However, there are a lot of people who hang about by the door just because it improves (by whole seconds) their egress time when they get to their stop - and often that isn't LB (or the other end of the line). I understand it, but I can't condone it.

I remember getting a seat on the train back in 1999 from East Dulwich at 8am. I'll be lucky if I get on the train at that time now. It was the same for the 176 bus - I'll be lucky if the bus driver even thinks about stopping at the Dominos stop. The population of East Dulwich has grown, and all for the better I say - as now I have to get up earlier, but it's worth it :).

Val Shawcross and Tessa Jowell might like to know about people's transport experiences. I too have noticed that the buses are busier than they used to be, which is why I take the 63 and avoid Walworth Road (shudder). Nero

Lets hope they are going to lay on more trains - not so long ago they installed what looks like a footfall monitor on the entrance to the London Bridge platform so hopefully their number crunchers will realise just how many people are going up there at peak times in the morning.