Safety information for our Communities

May I make some suggestions and advice on making sure we help keep one another safe and look after neighbors and so on? I refuse to be paranoid or live by fear. But I do think it is very important that we are pro-active and take part in community safety when our councils work at making things happen.

Here in Nunhead and Peckham Rye we have a number 020 8721 2443.

This number is transferred to a mobile phone and whoever has the mobile phone, whether it be Community Warden or PSCO or even an actual living breathing police officer, they are all linked to one another by radio. So if you see something suspicious that does NOT warrant 999 then you phone the relevant number. Whoever answers the phone will, if deemed necessary, radio the rest of the team with the information you have provided. This worked recently for me (I posted in another topic about it).

Sometimes you will get an answerphone message and will have to give your information that way. But it won't be ignored. And if you think it is ignored then phone back and speak to someone, attend meetings and ask questions so you can familiarise yourself with the system and put faces to the names and they can see you are serious too.

Be safe and take responsibility! Perhaps we could all use this thread to forward phone numbers and other hints to one another about such matters.

Lecture over. I'll get me coat.

(Edited to delete an urban legend... Thanks LtP!)

Hope you don't mind me bumping this to the top but I am wondering if as it relates to us all it can remain near the top? Maybe in each of your areas you can post the safer neighbourhood phone numbers you can all have. It is an important issue really, specially when there is a number of burglaries that happen.

Maybe in each of your areas you can post the safer neighbourhood phone numbers you can all have.

The entire list of Safer Communities numbers is on the Met website - the Southwark page is here. You need to work out which Ward you are in (may not necessarily be what you think) but the Southwark Council site will tell you this too.

I'm in College Ward (Upper East Side, dontcha know) and our SC contact details are 020 8721 2442 or 07920 233916. I found the team very helpful the one time I needed to contact them.

Good advice Peckham Rose, however the local Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) advises that they are not a 24 by 7 service and the correct procedure to follow if you spot something suspicious is to always call 999 and if the SNT?s are on duty then they may well be tasked to come out and see what the situation is.

The SNT?s are not a response team and as such the use of 999 is the safest route to guaranteeing an answer to the call.

Also as a point of clarification, the SNT teams are not linked to the wardens and as such the number you gave out will only contact the SNT if they are on duty at the time.

Hope this helps .