ED to London City Airport

I flew to and from Rome and Dublin from the city airport and was that impressed I never wanted to use any another airport. On the way there got snarled up in a big jam and almost missed the flight but once there I found it the most convenient of any airport anywhere.

City Airport is an awesome thing. Especially for us in SE22. I cant commend it enough. Leather chairs, the quickest check in and security clearance ever (on normal days). And I get to fly BA if going home to Scotland and get 3 whiskys and a meal and nice cabin crew. And its often cheaper than the easyJet or the Ryanscare.

Unless any of you can beat me I would like to suggest that I currently hold the world record for Almost Missing a Flight Again thanks to City.

My plane was leaving at 09:50. I slept in, left ED at 09:15 by cab, arrived at City at 09:40, walked through the door, did a self check -in at a machine with no queue, cleared security in 3 mins, and got to the gate at 09:47 just as the last passenger was walking across the tarmac..... :)-D

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't worry about the return with a black cab just

> give the minicab ur flight number and they'll be

> there when you get back even if delayed......not

> know that standard practice Mockney?

Agreed. I always used to do this with Carroll Cars on Barry Road (I think they have a different name now) and they were always there to meet me when I landed x

Mr Ben's tale sounds like an advert, and it's making me think seriously about using the City Airport for the first time. I'd really like to be able to hop on a train straight from ED and do the whole continental integrated transport system thing, but it's not going to happen like that. Nero

I'll echo MrBen's endorsement - it's very hard to face other airports when you are used to City - the size and speed of the place is so refreshing

I can't match his last-minute story (doubt anyone can!) but I can tell you about the time we went to San Fran - no flights from City and we usually fly from Gatwick as a preference (that bit easier than Heathrow to get to and from)

When we loaded the taxi up with bags on the way to the airport and drove off the driver said North or South terminal - I couldn't remember and the tickets were in the boot so I said we had plenty of time and they aren't that far apart just drop us at the first one we get to (anyone NOT know where this is going.....?)

Got to the terminal, got the tickets out, checked the flight numbered, checked the boards....no match

Off we go to the other terminal.... No. Match... hmmm (yes yes it seems obvious now)

Checked the tickets again. Heathrow. We had booked them months before and just assumed it was Gatwick as usual.. Ran to the taxi rank asked how long and how much to Heathrow - on a clear M25 we would likely be 5 minutes early - but how often is the M25 clear

To say things were tense in the cab is an understatement. But we made it with 2 minutes to go.

I regularly used to turn up 20 minutes before the flight was due to take off, and as I had no luggage to check in I was ushered through with haste, blind eyes are turned to shaving gel over 100ml, and made the flight every time.

It's no myth, and as sean says, Heathrow et al are almost intolerable once you're used to city.

Another highlight, is coming into land at City Airport - surrounded by water. I know it's not uncommon in other parts of the world but I always think "london??"

You're right Mockney it ain't that close to the City - I suppose Beckton?East Ham Airport would be the closest

The first time I used City Airport I lived in East Ham - I travelled from St James to the airport on the way out but when I got in a cab on the way back and said East Ham I ws indoors in 10 minutes - I couldn't believe it. Not that that is enough to make anyone want to love in East Ham mind you

(horrific flashbacks to "Big Del's Disco")

I use City Airport a lot and am a big fan. Pluses as set out above. There are a few down sides though - the fares are more expensive (although arguably balanced out by the lack of need to travel to Heathrow or Gatwick) and the services are (IMHO) much more prone to being delayed or cancelled, particularly because of weather (presumably because it's a much smaller airport with smaller planes). Usually only a 20-30 minute delay, but there isn't a whole lot you can do in that time. Take a good book would be my advice.

i work at london city airport, and commute there every day from crystal palace road!

my main way of getting there is overhead (from ED or peckham rye) to london bridge; jubilee line from london bridge to canning town; then DLR from c-town (as an ex-east londoner, i'm allowed to call it that) to LCY.

though mad, manic shift work means five thirty in the morning starts sometimes! when i'm on those, i'll hop on the first 40 to aldgate, then n15/n50/115 to canning town, then 474 to the airport.

a nice little variety for all you travellers, there!

how many of you use British Airways from LCY?

That was to Dublin.

Yes my other half kept describing it to people as a "1920s bus". That may have been stretching the truth somewhat, but I could see where she was coming from.

It was great when it turned up, we'd all been standing in the departure gate for about an hour, tempers were beginning to fray, one woman was in tears, and then this vision in blue and rust turned up and everyone just collapsed into hoots of laughter.

Hats off to the staff in City that day by the way. Faced with a lot of testy, irritable and upset people, everyone I saw kept their cool good job done by all.

To make it all better, the friends who met us in dublin to give us a lift to the south coast, their car broke down just south of the ring road, so we had to wait a couple of hours for a truck and trailer to carry us down. We made it in at half 3 in the morning. I stopped being tired and frustrated and just started finding it funny by the time we turned up at the 'airport' that is southend.

Fly out of there many weeks, ?26 with cab firm (dunnoe who they are - lost the card !).

When being picked-up, the firm may advise in advance of a 'meet and greet' ?12 if they have to pay to wait in a holding bay (car park) for taxi drivers waiting for folks whose plnes are late). I have never paid it, tell them to wait 1/2 mile away from the airport they know where to do that they are cab drivers.

Takes about 20-25 mins during AM but I always get a cab for 0600AM.

Coming back same price (without M&G charge), takes @ 45-60mins.

I got a lift back from a nice Bangladeshi bloke in a really flash car and had top chat on Indian sub-continent politics !

Fly out of there many weeks, ?26 with cab firm (dunnoe who they are - lost the card !).

When being picked-up, the firm may advise in advance of a 'meet and greet' ?12 if they have to pay to wait in a holding bay (car park) for taxi drivers waiting for folks whose plnes are late). I have never paid it, tell them to wait 1/2 mile away from the airport they know where to do that they are cab drivers.

Takes about 20-25 mins during AM but I always get a cab for 0600AM.

Coming back same price (without M&G charge), takes @ 45-60mins.

I got a lift back from a nice Bangladeshi bloke in a really