"Attempted" Bike Shed Break In - Barry Road

Hey team,

Just to let you know, my bike shed was broken into on Saturday night / Sunday morning....

I noticed this at about 6.45am on Sunday morning, when I looked out and saw the hinges of one of the doors had been unscrewed. I went out to investigate, and thankfully nothing had been taken. The bikes in there are chained to a ground anchor as well.

It looks to me as if the would be thieves had taken the time to unscrew the hinges, and then got put off by by the bikes chained to the ground anchor and left.

I called the non emergency police number, and a unit was round in less than an hour. I must say that the police were excellent in this instance. It felt a trival thing to report, but as keeps being mentioned on this forum, it is important to report so the police can get an idea of trends etc what is going on, and if there were any related crimes that evening.

Very thankfull nothing was taken, and the shed was reletively undamaged. Dodged a bullet there!

Cheers

I wonder how much more difficult using security screws would make it. Far from insuperable, but it would mean a perp would have to have a choice of bits available, or switch to the brute force option. Is it normal for the hinge screws to be exposed, btw?

If you have T hinges on shed doors, which is quite usual, then the heads are exposed. I have just popped out and changed the screws on my shed to security screws. Unless the culprits go equipped with a selection of heads this should slow them up. You could also use clutch headed screws which only screw in and are virtually impossible to unscrew. Although as a chippie I know a way of getting them out but I am not telling.