Olympic Snub to Dulwich And Tessa Jowell

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why on Earth isn't the Torch visiting Tessa

> Jowell's constituency She is the Shadow Olympics

> Minister and was part of the team who brought the

> Olympics to Britain.

When was the last time Tessa Jowell visited her Constituency let alone the Torch. ???

Last time I saw her was back in the 80's when she went down Lordship Lane on here Battle Bus.

When The Dulwich Labour Party met in the Foresters Arms. and the Dulwich Lab. office was in Grove Vale.

Fox.

Just for the record, and for those interested, the Torch WILL be passing through part of Dulwich and West Norwood - on 26th July it will go along Coldharbour Lane and pass Windrush Square in Brixton where lots of activities will be taking place and crowds gathering.

As some you who may have seen in Southwark News (Dulwich&Herne Hill edition) on 5th July, Tessa is obviously disappointed the torch won't be passing through Dulwich and East Dulwich as well (and particularly Herne Hill Velodrome). However the organisation of the relay is an incredibly complicated logistical task and it would have been impossible to accommodate all of the competing demands.

The route, and the stories of those carrying the torch, can be seen and read in full here http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/route/ (Day 69)

Office of Tessa Jowell

It is good that Tessa's constituents (some) will have the torch quite close - agree that the old Velodrome deserved an historical visit at least. It is also good that Tessa's office should have responded as they have.

Even for those of us somewhat sangine about the event and its personal impact, the hard work put in by Tessa when she had responsibility, and her successors, shouldn't go unremarked.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> Was it TJMP, or someone else, that was responsible

> for gross underestimate of the costs of hosting

> the Olympics. Starting at ?2.9bn (from memory) and

> rising now to ?9.6bn?

I don't wish to be rude, but your comments are unhelpful, and counter to the spirit of the times.

For a start, it must have been someone else. You don't get to oversee a multi-million pound bidding process only to do the work yourself. And, besides, you're forgetting that a good chunk of the overrun was spent as contingency, which, obviously, doesn't count.

TJMPs role, in respect to her constituents, was to go on the telly to reassure us that the ?240 we're contributing through the council tax would be turned into almost tangible benefits, worth ?700 or more to each and every household in the Metropolis. And for that, we should be grateful.

Even if you ignore the games' contribution to the upsurge in sporting participation, the frankly embarrassing proliferation of playing fields and the clear benefits to public health, we've got a nearly new shopping centre within a day's walk, a cable-car relieving pressure on parts of the DLR and an upgrade to our traffic network that will, finally, deliver what the congestion charge once promised. And if that wasn't enough, you'll not need to buy the Radio Times for six weeks.

Now is not the time to be negative. Now is the time to sit back and watch, with all due incredulity, this once-in-four-year spectacle unravelling on our very doorstep.

"TJMPs role, in respect to her constituents, was to go on the telly to reassure us that the ?240 we're contributing through the council tax would be turned into almost tangible benefits, worth ?700 or more to each and every household in the Metropolis. And for that, we should be grateful."

How, where, when...........do I apply to the council for my share?

Burbage Wrote:

> Marmora Man Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Was it TJMP, or someone else, that was

> responsible

> > for gross underestimate of the costs of hosting

> > the Olympics. Starting at ?2.9bn (from memory)

> and

> > rising now to ?9.6bn?

>

> I don't wish to be rude, but your comments are

> unhelpful, and counter to the spirit of the times.

>

>

> For a start, it must have been someone else. You

> don't get to oversee a multi-million pound bidding

> process only to do the work yourself. And,

> besides, you're forgetting that a good chunk of

> the overrun was spent as contingency, which,

> obviously, doesn't count.

>

> TJMPs role, in respect to her constituents, was to

> go on the telly to reassure us that the ?240 we're

> contributing through the council tax would be

> turned into almost tangible benefits, worth ?700

> or more to each and every household in the

> Metropolis. And for that, we should be grateful.

>

> Even if you ignore the games' contribution to the

> upsurge in sporting participation, the frankly

> embarrassing proliferation of playing fields and

> the clear benefits to public health, we've got a

> nearly new shopping centre within a day's walk, a

> cable-car relieving pressure on parts of the DLR

> and an upgrade to our traffic network that will,

> finally, deliver what the congestion charge once

> promised. And if that wasn't enough, you'll not

> need to buy the Radio Times for six weeks.

>

> Now is not the time to be negative. Now is the

> time to sit back and watch, with all due

> incredulity, this once-in-four-year spectacle

> unravelling on our very doorstep.

Two points:

1. Elsewhere I have been a strong supporter of the Olympics and countered the cynicism on the "Am I the only one" thread.

2. TJMP was the Project Manager for the bid - on the "buck stops here" principle she must take responsibility for her team's error (if, of course, it was an error and not a deliberate undercoating to win the bid).

I think it's very unfortunate planning that missed Herne Hill Velodrome, 1948 Olympic Venue, off the torch route. It's part of Olympic history that's still in use today by riders of all ages and abilities. My son's school uses the track and both my kids do mountain biking and track cycling there. The cost of the sessions is also excellent (?2-?3 including bike hire), giving local kids the opportunity to participate and be coached in track cycling and mountain biking. A truly lasting legacy from the '48 Olympics which is why it's a shame the torch is passing it by.

I agree to have missed the velodrome is a shame but I also don't think it really matters too much given that the Torch is passing close enough to ED for anyone who wants to see it. I for one will walk down to Peckham to cheer on those carrying the torch. For them it is a once in a lifetime experience and entirely in the right spirit of things to go and cheer them on.

Burbage Wrote:

> > Even if you ignore the games' contribution to the

> upsurge in sporting participation, the frankly

> embarrassing proliferation of playing fields and

> the clear benefits to public health, we've got a

> nearly new shopping centre within a day's walk, a

> cable-car relieving pressure on parts of the DLR

> and an upgrade to our traffic network that will,

> finally, deliver what the congestion charge once

> promised.

This is tongue in cheek, right?