Security at the Olympics

Isn't this all getting a bit silly?

A warship, no-fly zone with jets ready to be scrambled, missiles on council flats. In short the biggest security operation since the Second World War.

Why don't they just ban spectators altogether and make everybody watch it on telly? Personally I think this puts Britain in a bad light and gives the impression we live under military law.

I blame the press, frankly.

As much as I think all the security theatre is an exercise in stupidity, it is also an a*se covering exercise, because if something does happen, then no doubt 'where were the army' and 'didn't we learn anything from 7-7/9-11" will be the redtops' first cries.

I was ambivalent about it all before reading that.

Now I couldn't be behind it more, what an arse.

The military securty is very very silly though.

I quoted another blog elsewhere but it stands repeating here.

Much better expressed than that awful awful article.

"Ah, memories. Here's Tessa Jowell in 2008:

The London Games in 2012 will beat Beijing by being more "democratic", Olympics minister Tessa Jowell says.

By 'democratic' Tessa meant 'involving more mass participation', by which metric the Arirang games in Pyongyang are festivals of popular anarchy. But it was an aspiration of sorts. And them times ain't no more.

I mean, if you were going to write that trite leftie dystopia novel, the one in which the army man checkpoints in central London and crowds of children are taught to be publicly grateful to the corporate sponsors, and there are missiles on the roofs, but you hadn't because you were aware on some level that it was a bit shopworn and clich?d and besides you're not so sure about Chomsky as you used to be, well, then it's too late, because reality has just beat you to it.

Now that we're up to around a quarter of the entire British army guarding the Olympics, a thought occurs: given that rights to the whole thing have been parcelled up and flogged off, does the event have an official terrorist group? I mean, we wouldn't want no-marks like ETA turning up and spoiling the whole thing with a crap atrocity. A world class event demands high quality terrorism, either from established global players in 'far enemy' markets or from dynamic, savvy regional armed gangs seeking entry on to the world stage: I'm looking at you, al Shabaab.

Obviously, we could make subsidiary rights available to your bog standard national liberation movements. They could have a crack at, say, the rowing."

Interesting points.

The security isn't just the military protecting people from terrorist threats though. There's also security protecting the Olympic brand and the sponsors' hefty financial support.

Woe betide the small cafe that arranges five onion rings on your steak into the Olympic logo pattern and tries to sell you an Olympic special platter. The brand police will be storming the cafe faster than you can say KGB.

It's funny because this afternoon I cycled accross Westminster Bridge (around 4pm) and there were cones and a Police Layby to pull over any vehicle they wished to (presumably to search). When I came home over the bridge at around 1 am not a single bobby or cone to be seen. Now it doesn't take a genius to work out that any terrorist or would be assassin isn't going to be put off by the ad hoc temporary road block here and there. I did have a feeling of 'what really is the point?', but I guess it's the visible presence that's supposed to act as a deterrent rather than the belief they'll actually find a van packed with explosive or have to shoot a missile at a rogue plane. Of course, they might just have been looking for tax dodgers (can't remember passing an ANPR van though).

Here you go Hugeunot:

...Olympic ring bagels banned from cafe window...

Council orders bagels off after claiming shape breaches Olympics copyright

...Florist, doll maker, cake bake and butcher among those previously warned...

...the cafe had the book thrown at it by Southwark Council in South London.

Two ?community wardens? swooped on the House Cafe and Gallery, in Camberwell, within 20 minutes of manager David Adams putting up the display.

They claimed that putting the circular buns on show breached copyright rules...

One customer said: ?They were being quite aggressive to David, ordering him to take them down immediately and threatening him with court and fines. They said there would be very serious consequences if he did not obey them.

?It was just some bread hanging in a window, for goodness sake! When a few customers such as myself started telling them off for being silly, they began taking pictures of us on their camera, which I found sinister.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175817/Bakers-churches-use-Olympics-rings-NOT-prosecuted-says-minister.html#ixzz218uj0OGc

"Lord" Coe has just said that people wont be allowed to wear Pepsi branded shirts at the Games. This because Coke have been so generous in their sponsorship. I kid you not, Today programme on Radio 4. Also, police have been told to put their Walkers crisps into clear plastic bags, Walkers being owned by Pepsico.

So much for a Democratic Olympics.

This kind of tosh was proposed during Test cricket a number of years ago. The cricket authorities were very new to corporate sponsorship and were rather niaive in their dealings with sponsors i.e. they just rolled over and agreed to everything. There was a big push back from cricket fans and minds changed quickly.

The online Southwark News has just:

"EXCLUSIVE

RED-FACED council wardens have said ?sorry? after forcing a caf? to bin some bagels hanging in its window ? just because they were in the shape of the Olympic rings.

"The bungling Town Hall staff claimed the ?unauthorised? use of the symbol breached copyright rules."

[That's all you get in the free version. Does anyone have access to the paid-for one?]

Chaos at the Millennium stadium which kicks off the Olympics today with the women's football.

The contents of bags have to be emptied into different sized see through bags. Long queues held up and many people will be lucky to get in in time for the second half.

Organisers had asked people to turn up 2 1/2 hours before kick off.

How many people will get heat or sunstroke- especially since they are only allowed a measly amount of water. Someone I know was told by the local police (not this borough btw) not to expect a response if there are any problems during the olympics- he has a shop in an area badly hit in last year's riots!