ED Fire Emergency Service - kudos (abye the lads)

Tonight - about 1:15am on the way back from EDT, up to the top end of LL, adrift in a wash of mp3-age I was accosted by a guy who had suddenly parked up and asked me if i had a phone

A first floor flat was, if not ablaze, pretty close to being ablaze and no answer forthcoming from the buzzers

A quick call to 999 - the expected fire/ambulance questions and within minutes of me giving the address they were there - no more than 3-4 minutes? Some of the neighbours had suspected something earlier but were assured by the flat in question that everything was ok (hmmmmm) but by the time the time the fire engine arrived flames were visible and smoke filled the flat and no-one inside

Everyone involved was first rate - and a big shout to the guy in the car who stopped me for a phone - without him the whole situation would be very different

Great news, and a few bonus points for your karma tank, eh? Have heard though the emergency services prefer to get called from a BT phone, such as a payphone whenever possible as it helps them get a definite location or something. As there are hardly any public phones in ED, that would definitely explain the mad rush in the car! At least when the need calls for the Fire Brigade ED is between at least 2 stations B)

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I didn't know that SKS, but I guess it makes sense

> (until we are all tracked by our mobiles anyway)

>

> No kudos for me MP - I dialled 999 - I reckon I

> could do it again easy

>

> Hard to believe I only had 3 pints (or was it 4) -

> I feel like I've been in an American Football game

> without the gear

I think you are hiding your light under a bushel here. This dialling 999 is easy type comment - who are you kidding? Wouldn't know how to go about it myself. Any tips?