Howling Dog Choumert Road / Danby Street

Hi,

For the last week or so there has been a dog howling in one of the gardens in this area. It did not happen at the weekend, starts about 7.15am and goes on for a few hours sometimes. Does anyone know who owns it? I asume it's someone shutting it outside and going off to work as it is very loud. The council advise having a quiet word with the owner. Before I traverse the fences to find it I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has any further information.

Thanks

If the dog is in distress you should contact the RSPCA. They might be able to advise you better and would probably come and take a look as well. A neglected dog left outside in all weather whilst to owner's out all day at work is cruel. They shouldn't have a dog if the poor creature is left on its own for most part of the day.

Here are the details of the local office:

RSPCA London South East Branch

380 Norwood Road

West Norwood

London SE27 9AA

Email: [email protected]

London South East Branch enquiries only: 07952 680 522

Animal Cruelty Complaints: 0300 1234 999 (24 hour service)

owlwise Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If the dog is in distress you should contact the

> RSPCA. They might be able to advise you better and

> would probably come and take a look as well.

xxxxxx

I once phoned the RSPCA in a similar situation, including a day when the poor dog was outside in a thunderstorm and appeared to be terrified, and they weren't interested and told me to contact the council :(

A dog that howls for hours at a time is most definitely not fine- it is akin to a person shouting 'help,help' for hours at a time. Some dogs can suffer very badly from separation anxiety and simply cannot cope when their owners go off to work for the day. It could be that the owners are not aware.

The dog is probably inside the house- howling is a sound that carries easily.

The only other thought is that if this is an intact male dog it could be that there is a bitch in season. Male dogs can get incredibly worked up at any whiff of scent nearby (the scent of an in-season bitch carries for 5 miles)and howling is then a signal of frustration. If this is the case, once the season is oveer the howling will stop.

apologies, by fine I meant i didn't think the dog was "poorly mistreated/starved/dying etc". I suppose I didn't consider it was psychologically poorly.

my appeal on here was for any clues of where the dog owners might live. i can not see it anywhere, and as you say the noise carries a lot, so is hard to place. any further info would be appreciated, if only for the dog's sanity (rather than my own).