Olympic Torch coming to Peckham! Thurs 26 July

Olympic Torch coming to Southwark Thursday 26 July

In less than three weeks the Olympic Flame will tour our borough in the hands of 15 Torchbearers. It will travel across the Millennium Bridge, past Shakespeare?s Globe, down to Bricklayers Arms, and through the Old Kent Road before stopping for lunch at Harris Academy in Peckham before continuing on through Camberwell. The exact route can be found on our website alongside videos of our torchbearers telling their story and explaining why they were nominated. So get clicking and find out how near your home or workplace the Flame will come.

This is an historic moment and we want everyone to join in, so on 26 July come out and cheer, wave flags and let the world know how proud you are to live in Southwark.

To get in the Games spirit, we have decorated our streets with 2012 banners which you can see alongside the route and across many of our high streets. Perhaps you are a local leader and have organised for your friends and neighbours to cheer on the Flame through our streets?

If you haven?t signed up but are interested, you can sign up online.

http://www.london2012.com/join-in/local-leaders/plan-your-event/index.html

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where it stops? Isn't it supposed to stop at the

> Olympic Stadium?

It Stops at hundreds of places along route...

pressumably for Photo oppotunites and for Change Overs.

Fox.

Help! I can't make this link work properly, getting frustrated as the times were given at Community Council meeting, but cannot find them either on 2012 site or LBS... there were times. very precise times given for each part of the route.

I am told the torch relay will stop at Peckham Academy for a 'lunch' break at around 11am. So it will be in Peckham High St from about 10/15 minutes before that. It is coming past the oldest parts of historic Peckham buildings in Peckham or later. Buildings as old as number 58 Peckham High Street, the house near Burger King, and built in the 17th century; and including the curved terrace on the junction with Peckham Hill Street; the lovely row of buildings facing Peckham Hill Street, and more.

These are all part of the significant historic heritage we have in Peckham and which justified the town centre Conservation Area designated last October, and the successful Heritage Lottery Fund bid for a Townscape Heritage Initiative grant of ?1.7m. This will provide for selected historic restoration of some of those buildings and some in Rye Lane over the next few years.

For more info see:

? historic Peckham: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Historic_Peckham

? Townscape Heritage Initiative:

http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Latest_News#16th_May_2012_Townscape_Heritage_Initiative_.28THI.29_success