-------------------------------------------------------

> There's an acoustic open night at the Plough on

> Friday evenings - someone was doing a very good

> Bert Jansch impression/interpretation last week -

> About ten years ago Bert, John Renbourn, Martin

> Carthy and Davy Graham and even Vin Garbutt all

> played upstairs at the EDT - some great nights -

> don't know what happened to it

That was Alan King, owner of the black 1928 Gibson acoustic. He was the promoter of those nights at the EDT.

dessie Wrote:

> There's an acoustic open night at the Plough on

> Friday evenings - someone was doing a very good

> Bert Jansch impression/interpretation last week -

> About ten years ago Bert, John Renbourn, Martin

> Carthy and Davy Graham and even Vin Garbutt all

> played upstairs at the EDT - some great nights -

> don't know what happened to it

Thanks, will check out Plough, but in my experience acoustic clubs are usually full of singer-songwriters who only go to do their own thing and then leave - very little folk - though Jansch stuff sounds good :)

Davy Graham is totally out of it these days, worst gig I've ever been to a couple of years back, at the Spitz, seen him since at a festival and he wasn't much better, don't know how people are still paying him, sad as he used to be great.

Yeh I was around when Martin Carthy played at the EDT, but hey, I was so blase, seen him so often, I didn't bother going, rofl :))

My OH says he was there (I didn't know him at the time though!!)

Keef Wrote:

> Fair play Sue, I had seen folk acts there before,

> but you're right, it was also full of singer

> songwriters.

xxxxx

Didn't mean to be provocative, sorry if that's how it came across :-$

Just, the acoustic club I used to go to (not in ED, other side of London), many weeks was very very very boring :))

Some of the singers did the same stuff week after week, and many were up their own (censored).

And hey, I was far too polite to sit and read a book :))

Will definitely check out the Plough (must be the only pub in London whose phone number is impossible to find, apparently .....)

02086934236 Speak to Mark if you can. It's not a folk night, but you get a mix, and the people that have been there when we've been in have been really nice and it's a good atmosphere. I shall speak with Mark and work out when I'm next down there and put details up.

As this original thread was lounged, some people may not see the new Folk Club thread in the "East Dulwich Issues and Gossip" section, so I am copying the first post below. Sorry for any confusion - seems stuff is just relegated to the lounge if "not enough interest" - even if people are still posting ....

Hi all

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in the possibility of an ED folk club (YAY!!) so a few of us are meeting up at The Plough at 3pm on Sunday afternoon (27 January) to kick some ideas around.

If you'd like to come, or know of others who may be interested, please PM me (don't want to post my details on this thread at this point) - you DON'T have to be involved in organising any of it, we just want to get a feel for what is feasible and what people might like.

All folkie tastes catered for from Copper Family to Seth Lakeman via Tunng (not that I'm suggesting any of them are likely to be coming to ED in the near future, lol. Though Tunng might ).

Anyway, would be great if we could get something off the ground, even if very small scale at first.

Sue