disheartening lack of opportunities for teenagers in the local and surrounding area

My son has just finished his GCSEs and we're keen that he not spend from now until September sat on his backside doing nothing (although I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with this!).

We've got his CV together and distributed it round local businesses without success. I also tried to get him some voluntary work at the Centre for Wildlife Gardening in Marsden Rd but was told that their insurance wouldn't cover under 18's.

My son's quite willing to do paid or unpaid work - including manual - but there isn't any available - nor does it seem are there any places for him to go and hang out should he wish.

So what can teenagers do during the summer to keep them busy and out of trouble? What can they do to either earn money or gain valuable work experience before they start college/university?

Does anyone know if East Dulwich/Southwark provide any local youth club/activities/work schemes?

I seem to be drawing blanks and this article from the Guardian pretty much sums it up!

Tara

When I was a teenager, I called sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill, lied and told them I'd handed in an application and heard nothing back. They offered me an interview straight away, and I worked over the summer before going away to uni.

Worth a try!

My teenager volunteered to support the reading scheme in the libraries last summer and ended up doing 5 half days a week for 4 weeks, which was slightly too much but she mostly enjoyed it. She was at a Southwark secondary school and it was organised via Southwark libraries and the school librarian. My daughter was 13 at the time but when we went to the thank you event, most of the others were more in your son's age range. She basically administered the reading scheme during the times she was there - creating records of children taking part, asking them about what they had read and giving out stickers etc.

Thanks for your suggestion Otta :-)

Unfortunately we've already asked there twice!

First time we gave in his CV and then, on Monday we asked again at customer services only to be told that they've recently had a big recruitment push and taken on about 80 new staff members!

Missed the boat it seems :-(

That's an excellent idea Ondine, thanks for suggesting it, will have a look at what I can find out.

My son didn't go to school in the surrounding area so wouldn't have been able to organise something through them, but he an excellent reader and very patient with younger children so that seems like a great idea. He used to do some sort of mentoring of younger children at his secondary and I know he read with reception kids when he was in primary so this might be ideal.

There is an excellent youth club just over the other side of the Rye, it's called Westminster House Youth Club and it's on Nunhead Grove, SE15. If he likes football, I believe that both Athenlay and Carrib FCs will be running football activities over the summer. The closing date for application for Southwark funding for summer activities for 11-18 year olds closes tomorrow. This is for activities mainly for 13-18 year olds throughout Southwark during the school summer holidays (so therefore there will be things going on, but not yet!). I would suggest keeping an eye on the Southwark website to see what will be running that interests your son. I would suggest posting this in the Family Room, you may get more responses there.

Renata

Thank you very much Renata, we'll look into that youth club, that is a bit far for him to travel though (we're near goose green) and he's not really into football - more into film-making, reading, writing etc.

I'll take a look at the southwark website now, thanks :-)

Sorry Tarafitness, organisations applying for funding need to apply by tomorrow, so organisations will found out in a a couple of weeks whether they have the Southwark funding. I know it's a frustrating time, as only year 11s are on holiday at the moment, there will be a lot more on in a month's time! Your local scout group may do with some help, also I know previous primary pupils sometimes help setting up for sports days etc, so it may be worth him contacting his old primary school.

Renata

There are a number of charity shops which may be interested in an extra pair of hands over the summer. My brother has worked at his local Oxfam once a week since he was 16.

Perhaps your son could try contacting Sue at Suzanne James. She will of course be very busy because it is the height of wedding season, but she is a wonderfully community spirited woman who has helped set up local inititives including the HOPE project with Harris Girls' Academy - http://www.suzannejames.co.uk/news/harrisgirlshopeproject.asp - and a gardening project at Goodrich School. She may be able to offer some work experience or have contacts who can point your son in the right direction.

There are various arts projects going on in Peckham where he may find something film-related, even if t's just a case of shadowing people?

Best of luck to him.

*edited for dreadful typos!

My sons at the same age "borrowed" enough money from me to complete a one week's Pool Lifeguard course (then about ?75.00 and then spent a happy summer (2008 / 09 / 10) each taking shifts at the Brockwell Lido - getting a tan, looking "fit" and generally having a lot of fun while earning approx ?6.50/hour. They cycled to & fro and learnt quite a lot about life, getting up on time and about people and attitudes (not least for Son No.1 who met another lifeguard who had served time for murder but was very helpful and encouraging. Later, post A Levels Son No. 1 then used the qualification to spend a summer, post A Levels, in a Mark Warner Greek resort looking after their pools and guests.

See http://npmqreg.org.uk/ for more details of courses and costs.

tarafitness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you very much Renata, we'll look into that

> youth club, that is a bit far for him to travel

> though (we're near goose green)

Hi Tara, I don't mean this rudely, but is there a reason he can't travel very far? At his age, I worked at a theme park (sadly in short supply in ED), that was probably about 35 mins away from home. Taught me something about being knackered at the end of a working day, but also gave me great independence and some money of my own.

If he's willing to work for free I would get him 'to dream'. This is one of the few times in his life when he could think what his dream job would be and contact suitable organisations/companies asking to shadow someone/help out. I always wondered what an administrator in a theatre did. I contacted an administrator at the Rsc saying that I would love to learn more about her job in exchange for helping out with whatever menial stuff I could. I had a great time and we're still friends 15yrs on.

If not, he would be a godsend (although CRB check may be needed) for a community summer play scheme. My son goes to the one at the church on Red Post Hill for two weeks in the summer. They are all volunteers doing it to support local children in the community. The Albrighton also do summer schemes for the kids and runs on volunteers. It's worth talking to Steve or Jackie there.

If he prefers older people Dulwich Helpline are always looking for volunteers for various things. Again, if he likes reading I used to read regularly to a lady who was elderly and blind. I am sure they could match his interests with a need/project.

Hooray for him....hope he enjoys his summer

Wow, quite overwhelmed by how many responses and suggestions I've received, thank you all... this is why I love the EDF (forum that is, not energy firm ;-) )

Knomester - good idea re charity shops, will get him to ask around, there are at least 3 nearby I think, more if you include Herne Hill :-)

Otta, thanks, have downloaded their application form so will get that filled in tonight, I think it would be perfect for him.

Marmora Man - great idea! I think it would be a very useful qualification to have, he can get a job pretty much anywhere that has a pool then, will look into it though, as womanofdulwich pointed out it's a bit pricey so may be something we consider for next year. Definitely worth getting though I reckon.

RosieH, no, you're quite right, it's not far to go, not sure why I thought that particularly as I sent my son off all over the place last year doing various Futureversity courses as they had none nearby! He went to Ealing, Tower Hamlets, Tottenham, essex...! Futurversity is a great organisation/charity, unfortunately the dates available this year clash with The Challenge that he'll be taking part in this summer. I was just hoping that he could get some actual work experience before starting college in September, I think volunteering is the way forward.

Cora, my son does plenty of dreaming... I think he dreamt his way through secondary school!! ;-) Fortunately he's got a place on a media course in a great college so will be very much pursuing his dreams. Last year he worked at Sony Playstation Europe's headquarters for a week... testing games, writing reviews, creating graphics... that's his dream job it seems, it's good that he's got something to work towards!

The community summer play scheme idea is a very good one and one we've considered, the only thing would be that he's going to be spending a chunk of the summer hols doing The Challenge so wouldn't be able to commit to working all the way through the holidays.

There are lots of elderly residents whose gardens have gone crazy and need help clearing them. I know of someone that does this and may be able to point him in the right direction. Pm me if you're want to get in touch with them.