House of dreams - East Dulwich's best kept secret...

Hello neighbours,

I have just searched the following text in the forums:

"house of dreams" and "stephen wright"

and am shocked to find zero posts about this amazing place and person...

Ever wondered who lives behind the door of the peculiarly mosaiced blue house at 45 Melbourne Grove (left hand side as you wander home from the station - right, naturally, if you're on your way to work)? Then check this out:

http://www.stephenwrightartist.co.uk

I encountered Stephen last week while out the front gardening. He introduced himself and we got chatting about a shared passion for colourful plants and creative gardening... He then invited me to see his creations at the "House of Dreams" and I was blown away by them. I am sharing this with you as there are several opportunities coming up to see for yourself, these are:

Saturday 7th July, 11am - 4pm

Saturday 4th August, 11am - 4pm

Saturday 1st September, 11am - 4pm

Really a must see,

Enjoy!

KWB

We went to an open day here last year, the place is absolutely wonderful, if you haven't seen it you must go :)

We were there for ages just taking it all in.

Maxxi, they probably don't want people nicking or damaging stuff in the front garden, which also contains some amazing things.

Ha ha ha Loz, indeed, a creative way of recycling!

Contrary to Pocket's comment, I am totally inspired by House of Dreams and so am endeavouring to start mosaicing too. I have put out a request for broken or chipped ceramics here in the forums http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?28,910674 but thought to ask you here too...

PM me if you have any contributions - would appreciate not having to use the tea cup I am currently drinking from ; )

KWB

KWinberry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Contrary to Pocket's comment, I am totally

> inspired by House of Dreams and so am endeavouring

> to start mosaicing too.

xxxxxxx

Same here! I have plans for a very small one in my very small back garden.

Broken plates and mugs are already going into a pot in readiness :D

I thought about doing my doorstep, a la Blue Mountain, but I think that might be a step (hoho) too far .....

Hi Sue,

I've started my collection too, with help and donations from other forum-ites (thank you!!).

I thought to share this link

which is a 20 minute video tutorial about how to mosaic garden stepping stones. I fast forwarded a bit of the banter as it's a little cheesey - but it's great to have a starting point...

I plan to start with these little projects and work my way towards a feature wall... And like you, my front door step is looking very tempting!!!

Best

Kwb

Hi there,

I've had a busy weekend on my first mosaic project (pictures attached of an old chair before and after)... So I thought to share this here...

In truth it's alot harder than I thought and I'd cut myself several times in the first 10 minutes before resorting to wearing gardening gloves (just while cutting the tiles).

I used a tile nipper - as suggested on the YouTube video (available in both Dulwich DYI and Saun's Hardware near the station - prices ranged from ?5.99 to ?17.99). I bought a cheap one and regret it - it's hard to use and the spring keeps coming off. I quickly learned to put a clear plastic bag over the tile I was 'clipping' as shards would shoot off in all directions.

I ended up putting a few plates inside two platics bags and smashing them with a hammer.

I have since emailed Stephen Wright and asked if he'd be interested running a small workshop and he's agreed! Saturday 25th August. I have posted all the details in the EDF events forum: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,912659

PM me for more info.

Cheers

Kath

Hi,

thanks for your lovely replies and PMs.

I've just found another YouTube clip which briefly shows how to use the tile nipper effectively...

Wish I'd seen this before- would have saved me a few plasters!!!

Just found another goodie- adding it to this post :

Kwb