Strakers Road Speed Humps

Southwark are consulting on installing speed humps in Strakers Road - Peckham Rye Common, 5 of them:-

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/7394/strakers_road_traffic_calming_measures-public_notice_dated_28_june_2012

Not sure if its just me but I can't see where the VFM will be in these - is there a real problem with speeding cars (i.e. over 20 mph) One of these every 50 metres seems a tad OTT - needed on Peckham Rye east more I woulddl have thought where speed is a real problem - of course others may have seen problems with speed in this area - can't say I have. Can't help but think the ?5k approx would be better used to slow motors down elsewhere (i.e. Stuart Road).

Teddy

Err, it's Southwark Council - they'll install speed humps anywhere for no particular reason...and damn the cost. This is quite funny.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/wasteful-london-council-installs-1000-speed-hump-in-a-culdesac-6776816.html

It's enough to persuade me to buy a 4X4 to cruise the streets of southwark in relative comfort without having my spine re-arranged when driving (within the speed limit)

The world's smallest cycle lane on Forest Hill Road (about 2 metres) is also a laugh - that will have cost thousands too. Completely pointless... And people complain about loss of local services...

Strakers Road is a 5mph road. I doubt many people, if any observe the limit or anywhere near it. Some of speeds people travel down that road are just dangerous. What's the rush there anyway? The sooner the humps are installed, the better. I'm sure the questioning of this consultation would be very different, if it was a reaction to a fatality.

henryb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Any chance they can be done in such a way so there

> is space so cyclists don't have to go over them?

> Bumps are a pain on a bicycle, especially if you

> have a toddler on the back.

There are not going to be any on the cycle/pedestrian path that runs almost parallel to Strakers Rd. Safer to use than the road too.

This is a 5mph road, any road that has a speed of less than 30mph, must in some way be self enforcing, ie have some form of traffic calming. Due to its location, cutting through the park, it is different to a standard road, children do just wander across it!

I do think that this is a appropriate measure in this location.

Anyway, it is up to local people to comment on the consultation, so please do so!

Renata

I try to drive down that road at 5mph and it is bloody difficult! I have my two boys in the back of the car and we make a game of it, seeing how slowly daddy can go. Don't spend money on speed humps. Just increase the limit to 10mph, put in a couple of proper speed limit signs and fine people for speeding.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Humps are Good Idea if idiots are speeding through

> the park. Alternative is like Dulwich park . BAN

> CARS!

How do you suggest cars get to the car park then , plus park veicles ,re-cycling lorries ,deliveries to the cafe etc etc. ?

it is not consultation. it is happening in august. there were little pointy humps on this road until they resurfaced it. now they are coming back and not before time. I walk our dogs there every day and some of the vechicles (cars and delivery vans) whizz along and are a threat to walkers, children and, of course, loads of doggies. I m not one of james barber's greatest fans, but I am giving him a big vote of thanks for his action.

Hi Puzzled, there is consultation on this:

Persons wishing to object to the proposal, or make any other representations in

respect of it, should send a statement in writing to that effect, and in the case of an

objection, stating the grounds thereof to, either: the Traffic orders officer, Southwark

council, Environment and leisure, Public realm, P.O. Box 64529, London SE1P 5LX,

or via e-mail to [email protected] quoting reference PR/PD/TMO1213-

012 by 19 July 2012.

The plan is for 5 full-width sinusoidal road humps along Straker's Rd.

Renata

I hate speedbumps and Southwark seems obsessed with installing them. I'm sure their proliferation in London has contributed to the commensurate increase in the number of ridiculous psuedo military vehicles on the roads. Anyway, that said, I think that this particular road (going through a park as it does), is one of the very few cases where speed bumps are probably justified.

Southwark - just stop putting them everywhere else!

The speed limit is NOT 5 mph but 30 mph, the same as Peckham Rye, otherwise it would have a red circular sign. The 5 mph sign is just advisory - I guess this is why they are planning to install humps every 50 metres - could really do with traffic calming on Stuart Road and all the others around that area - not to mention Cheltenham Road. I would assume that the council has data showing that excessive speed (over 30 mph)is a problem hence these measures rather than going for a 20 mph limit.

I've also seen plenty of people bypass the bollards either at the Peckham Rye east end or from near the carpark and drive their cars down past the cafe and down the path towards the junction of Friern Road/Peckham Rye west... mainly during the summer, often at speed. All for the speed humps but also wonder if we'll see more 'off piste' driving afterwards???