Junction of East Dulwich Road, Peckam Rye is hell!!!

jocelyn

"Some fool has even seen fit to make it a box junction, which means it is nigh on impossible for more than one car for each lights change to (legally) turn right at rush hour. "

But motorists can enter a box junction to turn right?

A small roundabout would do the trick, one of those flat, painted ones that allow buses and trucks to negotiate the radius easily.

>> small roundabout would do the trick, one of those flat, painted ones that allow buses and trucks to negotiate the radius easily.<<

You mean the sort that has just been removed from the Melford/Underhill Roads crossing because of all the accidents on it? :))

And much like the one that still exists at the Melford Road/Wood Vale intersection, where accidents still occur regularly because people don't treat it like a roundabout but drive straight over the centre and into the path of oncoming traffic from the right? Luckily, it isn't a spot where many pedestrians cross, so there's been nothing like the terrible accident further down the road. However, one of the houses on Wood Vale has had its front wall/gate driven into four times in the last two years.

• 1 month later...

Hi - just spent time looking for this old topic because I raised it with Valerie Shawcross / Fiona Colley and got a reply. Below is my question and her reply.

"Dear Ms Shawcross

With all the dangerous junctions and unnecessary traffic lights, what can you do to make junctions safer for road users (pedestrians included). When turning right at traffic lights it can be very dangerous exercise forcing/encouraging more and more road users to feel they have to turn right on a red light or they don't get to their destination at all!

We have worked so hard to try and get TfL and Southwark to do something about one such junction of East Dulwich Road and both sides of Peckham Rye, SE22 and SE15 side, by installing a roundabout and zebra crossings instead but they have simply ignored us. Streetmap link below

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=534478&y=175535&z=1&sv=534478,175535&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Reply from Ms Shawcross:

"I know this location and will again raise the issue with the Council - the local Labour Councillors have previously tried to get this issue resolved... It is something the Council can apply to TfL for funding to implement, but it is up to the Council to make the decision to apply for support to do it. We will let you know the Council's response.

Valerie."

Maybe people could email her regularly to check progress? It's all very well moaning about things in here where very few people who could do something actually read it, everyone who cares should bombard their councillors with emails and letters and so on. They may still ignored us but at least we know we tried.

I'll get me coat....

Yes quite agree with advice from Val Shawcross. my neighbours and I were a pain in the a**e to our cllrs until they dealt with a similar issue. Whilst you're at it can you get them to deal with the junction of Court Lane & Lordship Lane!

Why should I?

You have their email address above.

YOU do it.

Dodo1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes quite agree with advice from Val Shawcross. my

> neighbours and I were a pain in the a**e to our

> cllrs until they dealt with a similar issue.

> Whilst you're at it can you get them to deal with

> the junction of Court Lane & Lordship Lane!

I had an interesting experince at this junction a while ago. The lights has failed and it had turned into a free for all. As I was on foot you'd maybe expect it to be near impossible to cross, but on approaching the junction I put on my hardest 'peckham face' and walked out diagonally into the moving traffic. Because the drivers had slowed down and become more aware and less blas?, I was able to cross with ease. There have been studies showing that the removal of 'safety features' from the road have actually improved safety as motorists have greater awareness of their surroundings rather than having their 'I'm in a box and I'm going to ignore everyone else' attitude. In this particular instance, for me, it worked well and I didn't have to spend five minutes waiting for the lights, tho another poor woman I passed on the way was still stood there ten minutes later, to afraid to face down the motorist. This, though, is not a call for the lights to be removed as I'm sure within hours car drivers would be speeding through and doing handbrake turns, u-turns and probably even parking on the junction. The only way to make this junction really safe is to pedestrianise it so it can become a safe haven for mugging (please refer to another thread 'has anyone been mugged?)

• 1 month later...
why don't you just bypass the junction and head for Barry Road via Crystal Palace road and Upland road. Once at the Clock House the choice is yours. There is absolutely no need to turn right at that junction. It is dangerous and should be made ahead only, if only to stop those arrogant swine's intent on not queuing in the left lane. You know the ones, pretending their turning right only to bully their way in at the last minute. The planners who instructed the bus lane on the approach to that junction don't live in the area. The decision was a disaster.

I lived just next to the junction (above the motor spares shop next to the Tesco) for three years and when working from home, I'd probably hear around two collisions, honks, swearing and shouting matches and the like, per day.

Not to mention the fact that I've now more or less completely tuned out sirens of any kind, having heard them at least once per hour, _every_ hour for around three years. Really, every hour day or night. When a police car is approaching a busy junction, how far in advance do they turn the siren on? Yep, just outside my old flat.

I wouldn't recommend living near the junction. Nice area but the noise is terrible.

: P

No, it is I do agree. I've noticed they've changed the lights fairly recently to include a green ahead only light (going south), rather than a standard green. So the next step to make it safer further would be to include an extra timing sequence for a right filter on the eastern traffic flow.