Which GP Surgery to register with please?

We've just had a baby and need to re-register from our old GP in Clapham to one in SE22. We live by Dulwich Library as well. My take away from researching on the forum is that nobody much likes any of the practices around here??

The Gardens has been fine with me, although i am a healthy and in my 30s, so haven't needed them much.

They were a bit cold when signing up mind. Declaring that i was 'just about in the catchment area' as if they were doing me a huge favour in letting me sign up to the practice. Odd.

We have been at the Gardens for many years. Originally our end of Barry Road was in catchment area, but now Barry Road (Rye end)is in. Never had a GP home visit so there has been no problems re being outside catchment area now.

Have seen all the GPs in the practice and cannot find fault with them. Both practice nurses (Liz and Jo) are also brilliant.

Should you choose the Gardens (not recommended here), would say, if you have had blood tests done. always, always, always insist on getting a hard copy for yourself. Check it is actually yours and not someone else's andn then check all the results yourself.

The blood test results come with huge asterisks and markers on them, if it needs following up they say SEE GP or ACTION or HIGH RESULT. This I think is because Kings knows there are GP's who haven't a clue what the results mean. So it is spelled out for them. Even so, they still manage to get it wrong.

It is hard to pick one's most outstanding Gardens GP memories.

Is it the doctor who thought that ratios are the same as fractions? So even when GP was looking at a blood test result that had !!!!***** HIGH POSITIVE SEE GP kind of comments from Kings on it, just as a hint, GP announced that a result of 1:1256 is the same as 1/1256. As though talking to a child, as though I were the idiot...and not GP, GP told me that - look, here is a quarter, it is 1/4. That is smaller than 1/2 isn't it? So 1/1256 is very small and that means there is nothing wrong with you. I reply, "It's not a fraction, is it, does it not mean that even when they dilute your blood over and over again, the antibody can still be found. That means there is a lot of antibody in your blood and it is a very high result, not a tiny one".

I knew the difference because we did it at primary school. GP however looks at me blankly. God knows how many people they have killed over the years. Or how someone with no understanding of maths at all, could even get into a medical school, let alone graduate.

For anyone who lives in Nunhead, down I think maybe as far as Peckham, very much recommend Honor Oak GP practice. The guy who ran it for years, Dr Neal, retired not long ago and should get a spot on the 4th plinth. Other actual decent docs there but I am not telling who they are because too many people waiting to see them already. Not perfect but you can tell they actually care and are doing what they can given cash starvation of the NHS, and I have found also, just much better informed and organised.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been to TJ's as I like to call it for blood tests. It seems fine tho' the phlebotomy nurses indicated the place is having teething troubles. Also, the Tessa Jowell Medical Centre replaces Dulwich hospital and is new. It has nothing to do with Melbourne Grove.

Soylent Green Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been to TJ's as I like to call it for blood

> tests. It seems fine tho' the phlebotomy nurses

> indicated the place is having teething troubles.

> Also, the Tessa Jowell Medical Centre replaces

> Dulwich hospital and is new. It has nothing to do

> with Melbourne Grove.

The company that ran Melbourne Grove now runs the Tessa Jowell place. They were called Concordia but are now called something different. They won the bid. The lead GP is the same GP that ran MGMP. Same practice manager too.All the patients were transferred over.

Is the phlebotomy dept inside the health centre and if so, do you know the opening hours as I need to get some tests done? Thanks.

The Phlebotomy Dept is open Monday to Friday, 7.30am to 3.45pm, and closed on bank (public) holidays and is within the Tessa Jowell Centre and their phone number for the phlebotomy reception is(0)20 8194 7490, if needed.

I've stuck with Melbourne Grove over the years, but fortunately I haven't needed too much assistance from them.

However Dr Love, Senior Nurse Veronica and Dr Etok have all been excellent. Although the latter may have left?