Is Jimmy Carr "Morally Repugnant?

I thought Carr's principle means of income were his energetic eyebrows? But yes, you're quite correct that he'd risk alienating his overall source of income, which would be counter-productive considering the need for cash being one of the conditions of entering into schemes like K2. But, then again, George Best essentially stuck both fingers up at the world by going to the pub after he'd recovered from a liver transplant. And the mob still adored him.

Though his drinking probably contributed a fair bit to the public purse through duties alone.

In the good times maybe noone would have given a shiot about all this.

During a recession and austerity people are pretty sensitive to things like tax and waste.

Much less ambitious tax avoidance finished red ken's political career once and for all, that's how the public react and Carr know's it.

As it stands from now on he's going to have a tough time putting doewn hecklers who bering it up and get ovations!

I think some of Carr's jokes are needed...

- If we are all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?

- Ten years after the Chernobyl accident, and am I the only one that's disappointed? Still no superheros.

- I've got a friend whose nickname is "Shagger". You might think that's pretty cool. She doesn't like it.

- I've got a friend; she's got a theory. She reckons that the way to drive a man wild with desire is to nibble on their earlobes for hours on end. I think its bollocks.

- I hate those e-mails where they try to sell you penis enhancers. I got ten just the other day. Eight of them from my girlfriend. It's the two from my mum that really hurt.

- My mum told me the best time to ask my dad for anything was during sex. Not the best advice I'd ever been given. I burst in through the bedroom door saying "Can I have a new bike?". He was very upset. His secretary was surprisingly nice about it. I got the bike.

- When you eat a lot of spicy food, you can lose your taste. When I was in India last summer, I was listening to a lot of Michael Bolton.

- I grew up in Slough in the 1970's, if you want to know what Slough was like in the 1970's, go there now.

- When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

- The National Helpline for Asthmatics was shut down. Apparently a problem with all the obscene phonecalls.

- A big girl once came up to me after a show and said "I think you're fatist." I said "No, no. I think you're fattest."

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What I was trying to suggest is that our "duty"

> toward society encompasses more than just the tax

> we pay.

And I would agree with that, of course. But I would be uncomfortable with the idea of adjusting tax levels depending on how 'worthy' your job is. It's an abstract concept, and measurement would be rather arbitrary. And however you devised the scale, I'm pretty sure that "annoying smug comedian" wouldn't be all that high on it.

It's all about marketing, nobody likes paying taxes, but we freely give to charity (not as a tax break) now we all know tax is the oil of our society used however to govern, protect, educate, welfare and all the rest.

Present Tax in different light by putting the emphasis on it's there to help others, and maybe it will be seen as an act of charity, and then possibly people might think twice about skimping on their bill?

right-clicking Wrote:

> Present Tax in different light by putting the

> emphasis on it's there to help others, and maybe

> it will be seen as an act of charity, and then

> possibly people might think twice about skimping

> on their bill?

It's a beautiful thought, but - come January 31st - I'll always be sick to my stomach.

right-clicking Wrote:

> It's all about marketing, nobody likes paying

> taxes, but we freely give to charity (not as a tax

> break) now we all know tax is the oil of our

> society used however to govern, protect, educate,

> welfare and all the rest.

> Present Tax in different light by putting the

> emphasis on it's there to help others, and maybe

> it will be seen as an act of charity, and then

> possibly people might think twice about skimping

> on their bill?

Two problems:

1. You are equating avoidance with evasion. It's not skimping on the bill to arrange your tax arrangements to minimise tax exposure and maximise personal gain. If gov't closed all loopholes then not paying the tax due would be skimping - but until that time .............

2. While gov't does spend tax revenues on governing, protecting, educating, welfare and all the rest it tends to do so pretty inefficiently. The tension between tax raised, demands on gov't spending and individual / corporate desire to pay lower taxes should always be tight to maximise efficient use of a limited resource NOT having the public flinging money at gov't willy nilly - that's the way vanity projects are conceived and funded.

• 4 weeks later...