Warning SCAM

Warning

There is a young man, age approx 10-12, and his younger sister, age approx 8-10, visiting houses in the area with a sponsor form from Honor Oak Amateur Boxing Club, claiming that he is raising money for the club by doing a 5 mile run. He visited my house last night and my partner checked with the club's secretary, John Atkinson, who gave her a description of the boy and told her that he has been using the form to extort money from generous homeowners since last August. Both the children are white, the boy has short cropped mousey hair, the girl has long straight brown hair, and their most distinctive feature is their noses; they have both been born without fully developed noses. Do not allow your empathy for these children persuade you to give them money up front, looking at the form I would say the young man earnt more in an hour than your average teacher, and it doesn't go to the club, and I doubt that these children get to keep the money either. My partner took the form from the boy so that he could not defraud our neighbours, but it was obviously photocopied, so he'll be out with another one soon. She didn't think to take a picture of him at the time, which would have been useful. The police have been informed.

when i lived in west London this kind of thing happened alot in the indian community. In large indian cities it isn't unheard of for beggars to deliberately mutilate themselves to attract sympathy,and thus more money. Sounds like these kids are doing this on behalf of a gang on account of their reported age. Adults who force kids to do this kind of thing (regardless of their disfigurement9 should feel the full force of the law and go to prison for a very long time.

This makes me so sad. Anyone who knows these kids and where they live should be informing social services, or as suggested NSPCC, so that their welfare can be checked on etc. they're just kids so they are either being coerced into this or they have very little and see this as a way of gaining something for themselves. It's not right but they might need some help.