Tessa Jowell MP made a Dame

As far as I can tell she has absoulutely no excuse for not living in her constituency:

She is not and was not married to another MP

Her children have not been in school for years

Her former husband's job was in central London, ie five miles away from her constituency

Her constituency is cheaper to live in that Highgate, where she does live

She has not been the local MP 'temporarily'

If she does have 'family connections' to north London I'm sure she could maintain them by driving the ten or so miles across London to visit them whenever she wants 'time off' from her constituency.

But what excuse has she ever offered for not living in the constituency she represents - has she ever talked on the subject?

I am mystified as to why everyone on this thread is so keen to defend her for not bothering to live here. It's a major reason for me refusing to vote for her

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> She is a waste of space and I have first hand

> experience- she did more for her pal Anthony

> Gormless than she ever did for the ordinary people

> of East Dulwich.

xxxxxxx

This is totally untrue.

I have contacted her on various occasions concerning various topics, and I have nothing but praise for the speedy and efficient way she dealt with them each time.

She also updated me as necessary, without being asked.

I think she's an excellent MP.

From another Thread.

Tessa Jowell's Answer.

1) Should MPs live in the constituency they represent?

Since this appears to be aimed at me I will tackle it head on and at some length. I have had to make a judgement that balances family commitments against the demands of being an engaged and effective constituency MP. I, and my constituency team, deal with over 5000 cases from local people every year. I have weekly advice sessions, mobile surgeries and coffee mornings where people can come and raise any issue they like. I?m always out and about locally. There is never, ever, anything of note that happens in my constituency that I do not quickly know about.

How?s your knowledge on the plans for a new combined health and leisure centre in West Norwood for example? What about the new schools that we have delivered in Lambeth - Evelyn Grace and the Elmgreen? What did you think about the recent listing application for the historic Brixton Markets? What's your take on the problem of primary school places in Norwood? (no, not East Dulwich - that?s conveniently been put off by the Lib Dems until after the election remember - whilst the Lambeth offers go out next week).

My constituency is incredibly diverse and comprises many communities, each with a distinct and proud identity: East Dulwich, Dulwich, West Dulwich, Gipsy Hill, Crystal Palace, West Norwood, Upper Norwood, Herne Hill, Camberwell and Brixton. I really do understand what makes it tick and I love it - stretching as it does from what used to be the Old White Horse on Brixton Road in a sweep across to Sydenham Hill and over as far as Streatham Common.

I acknowledge that where I live has been used as a stick to beat me with by my political opponents - that?s up to them. But not one of the tens of thousands of constituents I have helped in 18 years as the local representative have said ?Thanks Tessa but I would have appreciated it more if you lived here.? A few years ago we sold our family home and I assumed that I would move to the constituency. But I now have my children and step-children living nearby with four lovely grand-daughters that I already see far too little of. The anguish that my family felt at the prospect of my moving away from them at what was already a difficult time was something I simply could not ignore. The families of MPs often pay a heavy price and the judgement I made was that I had to put my family first in this decision. That is the choice I have made.

Every week, every day, every hour, I am working and my constituency team is working to get action and investment for East Dulwich and the rest of my constituency. I believe that every day we make something better for someone I represent.

With modern communications, living anywhere in London, with a London constituency, even, god forbid, North of the River, allows a diligent MP full access to his/ her constituents and their problems. I have never heard any complaint against Tessa's commitment as a constituency MP. And she is quite correct that the varied make-up of her constituency would mean that wherever she lived (even in the consituency itself) the hard-nosed could complain that she wasn't directly experiencing 'their' take on the constituency.

I would be worried by any MP who did not place his/ her own family high in their priorities - what sort of person would that make them and is that the sort of single-minded careerist I want as a consituency MP? I would, I suppose, be more concerned if a local councillor lived North of the River, but not an MP.

By all means challenge Tessa on her policies and beliefs, that's entirely legitimate in politics, but her place of residence (in the light of her achieved constituency commitment) is wholly irrelevant and a red herring (and, slightly nasty in tone from some attackers).