Untidy pavements

I know we have a fairly demanding and cumbersome rubbish/recycling collection system here in ED, but I wonder if people could be more mindful about what they are putting out on the pavements before collection days?

Where I live I see open blue boxes and their rubbishy contents left on the pavements, green bins filled to overflowing with the lids open and associated smells wafting out, unwanted cardboard packaging left out for a week or more.

I completely understand that we have little choice about all the recycling bins and boxes and that many ED houses do not have a front garden for storage, but would hope that people can be a bit tidier about their recycling. Or is that unreasonable?

That's fortnightly collections for you.

Our garden was shabbily filled with loads of recycling this morning after a family special occasion get together at our house at the weekend. We had filled our large blue bin, small blue box (lids closed) and I put out 4 large shopping recycling bags full too - all of which have open tops. The bags had sat in my kitchen for four days and I put them out last night for today's collection. As the recyclers come any time between 5am and 3pm today not really sure what else I could do other than put it out the night before. Stuff is all safely tucked in the bags but doesn't look great.

I do try and be tidy with it but from time to time we just have too much.

What happened to the re-instated weekly collections David Cameron promised - stroker.

And the recyclers came whilst I was out this am. Emptied all the bags and the small blue box and also kindly took an extra box I put out last minute. However they did not look in the large blue bin to see that was also full and have not emptied it. So I will email the council and see if they come again in the next few days. If not then I will have a full bin for the next two weeks and will soon have the small blue bin overflowing and be back to open bags again. My tiny garden will look untidy again the night before and during collection day.

I do not have a large Blue bin.. do not need one. so just a blue box for bottles and cans that stays outside.

I put all my papaer waste (mostly Garbage from Pizza shops ) in by Blue bag which I keep indoors

to stop all the paper getting soggy..

Yesterday the bin man just threw my blue bag in the back of the dust cart and slung the blue box

over my garden wall hitting my bay just missing the window.

I went out there and asked about my Blue bag.. He just said it slipped out of his hands..

Where do they find these people...

Fox..

Just a suggestion- there are massive comprehensive bins and recycling containers at East Dulwich Sainsbury's at the back of the car park. Some weeks (not often) if we have more rubbish than our bins can take I take the surplus there, although I have found that most weeks,even though 5 adults live in the house and several small furry animals- the bins provided are enough.

I don't know what to do about the ignorant dog owner who lets his/her animal crap outside our gates and does not pick it up though!

This problem isn't all down to residents. The collection/refuse services appear to take little care when they come round. In recent times I have adopted extra boxes, broken lids, missing lids, other peoples bins and lost mine. At one point I called southwark at least once a month to get replacements or request removal. I've stopped bothering as I have more important problems to deal with...overall it's a waste of time and tax-payers money.