Faulty (possibly dodgy) HSBC cash machine on LL

Just tried to withdraw some money from the HSBC machine furthest from Co-op to pay for a cab.

The transaction went through fine but when the message 'please take your card and wait for your money' flashed up, I could see the card trapped inside, unable to come out as it was hitting the bottom lip of the slot.

It was eventually retained by the machine. Fortunately I had another card and so was able to use the Barclays machine.

I suspect a faulty / damaged machine rather than foul play but you may wish to give the machine a wide berth until it's fixed.

Lebanese Loop

A plastic sheath is sometimes put into the card reader of ATM's, which prevents cards being read.

It is often referred to as a Lebanese Loop. They were originally made of videotape but can be made of any thin material.

A search on the Internet will show pictures of several different examples. Outwardly the machine will appear no different.

Remember the following advice if you experience problems with cash machines.

The cash point machine will prompt you to input your PIN number once it has read the card.

Do not input the number until this happens.

If the machine retains your card, it will tell you with a short written message on the screen.

If there is no such message, closely examine the card reader slot. Is there anything stuck to the front of it?

Beware of good Samaritans who advise you to input the number while they are watching.

If you believe you are the victim of an attempted scam and have access to a phone, call Police immediately. Give a description of those you feel are involved.

Unless you feel it is unsafe to do so, try to wait at the ATM

Again if possible, use an ATM inside a bank or shop where the deception will be more obvious

Also be aware of anything else hooked up to an ATM, which resembles a palm top computer with a card reader.

Do not use such devices

Related Artical

There are several previous threads with similar reports of Lebanese loops eg: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,697919,697946

I note that the article DF links to suggests calling the police immediately in such cases, presumably on the assumption that there would be someone nearby waiting to retrieve your card. Appearing to give up and leave and then discreetly watching from a distance might be a useful tactic too.

As I said, I believe this to be a faulty machine rather than any intentional tampering.

The card was read, the transaction was accepted and I was prompted to take my card & wait for my money.

Finally my card was retained my the machine as was getting caught on the lip of the slot. There was certainly nothing stuck to the outside of the machine as I spent some time examining it for fear of exactly that.

More of a heads up that the machine is faulty and you may be without your card for a few days than wishing to cause any alarm.

Well I hope you cancelled your card..

The so called Lebanese loop is difficult to detect and traps someones card in the way you describe.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRedfkXDBtxfHz1mnwkirsi0yaD2ZjtGz01EAPuOQLAFFoJazJV1g

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvg27gNvA-g0Clt6-OJwp8lwk5OEZ3Znq67fJwLmJjjPfaLyYi

Fox

Horsebox, you should phone your bank. This happened to me in the same place some time ago. The fact that a complete stranger turned up to offer advice on how to get my card back by keying in a number and then my pin made me certain it was a scam.This was early one morning too. You can't tell by looking at the exterior of the machine that it has been tampered with.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its not Faulty its fixed to rip you off - Do not

> use!

xxxxxx

Surely if HSBC have put a notice up (it's displayed on the screen, not stuck onto it) then they would have sorted it immediately if it's "fixed to rip you off" rather than just leaving the scam in place???

yeah go on stick your card in.

I say this because I got caught by a Scamming add on at Barclays on Lordship Lane I rang them the next day and their head office they basically denied that such things exists and refused to help. To Naively assume that Banks have your best interests at heart is well, given the current Recession Very Naive. They would rather deny there is a problem rather than help a customer.

I got caught on the post office ATM on Forest Hill Road. Card retained once I had keyed in the pin and chosen how much money I wanted. I stayed 15 mins and then went home. Didn't think to cancel my card until the morning when ?800 had gone from my account. HSBC refunded me the money but I think it should be more widely known about this scam. Banks are considered the victims by the police. It is an old scam according to the police. If banks are losing that much money they should really make it clear that if anything like this happens then the first thing to do is cancel you card and call the police. Better be safe rather than sorry. I personally felt quite intimidated as it happened at 10 0 clock at night and the scammers must have been watching me from their car while I waited 15 mins. Then as soon as the coast was clear they retrieved my card and money and went straight to the co-op next door to start spending. They continued early in the morning till I cancelled the card.