Mugging by Peckham Rye/Barry Road, Friday Night

On friday I was walking home with a friend at about 1.30am. On the pavement farthest from the rye, just past the new vet surgery by barry road we were ambushed from behind by two young black men about 5'8 tall. During the scuffle, I was relieved of my handbag and my friend his wallet. One of the two came back and after threatening to shoot us, grabbed back his baseball cap from me and ran off across the park.

Be warned: just because it's a main road it isn't safer - at least two cars refused to stop. And despite our shouts, no one in the houses came out. I have walked home alone often without incident in the last 10 years, but police advised that stretch of road between barry and friern is a dangerous spot due to lack of lighting and camera coverage, so take care!

ps.. If anyone found a sainsbury's bag with a black fleece and 'moonwalking with einstein' in it around that area, please let me know. They are unlikely to have held onto those, and the fleece belongs to a friend. I would also be delighted if anyone found my sketchbook but have given up hope on that.

So why don't the police and Southwark council work together to do something about this! Packham Rye is so dark at night with absolutely no lighting what so ever. It is absolutely appalling that people are being mugged and made to feel unsafe and nothing is being done to improve the safety of an area that has been identified as a dangerous spot. I have lived on Barry Road for the past two years and I often come on the forum to read messages about muggings on/just off the Rye at all sorts of times of day and night. Maybe James Barber can let us know if there are any plans to improve the public safety around Peckham Rye?

Sorry to hear about what happened Reddinggirl. I will check the undergrowth in the park for the items you mentioned.

Rbrtdngl,hysterical, factually inaccurate posts really do not help.

There is lighting on all paths across Peckham Rye Common, but due to tree foliage, and the absence of lighting from buildings, it can still seem pretty gloomy. The park itself is not lit, but then no one should be in there anyway as it is locked at/just after dusk.

From what I have read on the forum over the past 2-3 years, this area is no worse for mugging/robbery than Rye Lane, Lordship Lane, the area around East Dulwich station and sevearl other local areas. The street lighting is much the same as in most of the surrounding streets and I can't think of too many other parts of East Dulwich or Nunhead where CCTV is in operation.

Robbers will choose a location they know, one that is populated with people off their guard (leaving a pub/restaurant/station), and with an easy escape route. We can't realistically expect police and cameras to be on every street corner so it is up to us to be aware of this and be on our guard.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I have always felt safe in this area too that was until i was mugged on a an early sunday in february whilst nine months pregnant on crutches! Since then my view of mankind has changed.

This was at a busstop, broad daylight and not one person came to my rescue. Not one.

Have never felt so let down or vulnarble.

nununoolio I think what has happened to reddinggirl is completely appalling and inexcusable by whoever did it (I sure we all agree). Though I would hardly count my post has hysterical nor factually incorrect. I walk round Peckham Rye every night and you are right there is some lighting, but it is remains (for whatever reason - due to tree foliage or lack of buildings) inadequate! My main point here is that I believe Peckham Rye could be made to feel more safe at night with additional lighting - simple. Over the years I have seen similar posts on the forum warning fellow residents to take precaution when crossing the rye at night. I understand your point about the reasons why it is so dark, but to be honest I don't think it is good enough to just accept it (trees get bigger and buildings don't move). If muggings are occurring on/around the rye then steps should be taken to prevent them in the future. If my post came across as hysterical then I apologies, it would only have been because this is something that I feel quite compassionate about. The last thing I want to do is muddy the water and scary people off the streets at night.