A cinema for ED?

Lishyloo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why are people to lazy to travel 5-10 minutes it

> takes to get to our already struggling cinemas?

5-10 mins? Which cinemas are you thinking of? The nearest is prob 15 mins from me (Plough end of LL) - the one at Peckham - but it's pretty scuzzy. Not one I'm up for supporting. After that it's a long old schlep to Brixton on the 37 or a trip into central. So not many good local options IMO.

This is wonderful news! The Ritzy is close by, but I'd far prefer a cinema in East Dulwich as it would be a much nicer evening out with better restaurants and pubs to go to before/after. I've always felt that a good independent cinema was one thing that Dulwich lacked. Will you show vintage classics as well as new releases? How wonderful it would be to see It's a Wonderful Life down the road at Christmas! Good luck to you and what great news!

The Dulwich Library Monday afternoon films are at http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,912586,912586. They get a bigger audience than the equivalent Picturehouse matinees.

The Clapham Picturehouse can be effectively no further than the Brixton one, if you go by train. 13-14 minutes ED to PR to Clapham High Street, then a brisk seven minutes walk. It's also on the 37 route.

The Peckham Multiplex is opposite Peckham Rye station. Only 5 mins by bike or train, or 10 by bus. I think all tickets are a fiver, and although I'm a member of the Ritzy I do go to Peckham too sometimes. I agree it's not quite as plush but you do tend to get the place to yourself if it's an art film...

An ED cinema is a nice idea but I'd rather see more support for the local businesses that are already trying to boost their earnings with screenings. They've probably all been mentioned on here already (Dulwich Library, both parks in summer, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Clockhouse, Montpelier, EDT - just had a leaflet for their summer season shoved into my hand, and probably others I haven't come across) but if they get people in through the doors they may help to increase business in other ways.

Peckham also has a theatre, which I mentioned in another thread recently, an outpost of the Royal Court - costs about the same as the cinema. I only found it recently myself and most people I've mentioned it to hadn't heard about it either, so if you're feeling an urge for culture but can't face the schlepp into central London (or the cost), give it a go.

PS: Dulwich Library films are FREE and they usually run some morning screenings for kids during the holidays, bless them.

yossarian_lives Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi folks,

>

> I'm in the (very) early stages of planning for the

> set up of an independent cinema in London. ED is

> my preferred area and just wanted to canvass

> opinion. How would people feel about a cinema in

> East Dulwich? Great idea? Terrible idea? Would it

> encourage you to visit the cinema more as it will

> be right on your doorstep? Both the Peckhamplex

> and The Ritzy are fairly close by - is a cinema in

> ED even needed?

>

> The idea, and again I should stress it's at a very

> early stage, is for a two or three screen cinema

> showing a combination of major Hollywood films and

> quality independent fare. Not too dissimilar to

> The Ritzy, for example. I'm keen on very

> competitive pricing - keeping the ticket prices

> reasonable (and the concessions too.)

>

> All feedback, positive and negative, would be very

> welcome as, of course, would be any suggestions.

An East Dulwich cinema, I don't think there is the call for it. Besides as Mrs B has said, support the initiatives that are already in place.

You could always speak to the management of the Peckham Plex with a proposal about hiring cinema time to show films.

HH HH EEEEEE LL LL OOOOOOO CCCCCCC II NN NN EEEEEE MM MM AA EEEEEEE DDDD

HH HH EE ll LL OO OO C II NNNNEE EE MMM MM A A EE DD DD

HHHHH EEEEE LL LL OO OO C II NN NNN EEEEE MM M MM AaaA EEEEEE DD DD

HH HH EE LL LL OO OO C II NN NN EE MM M M a A EE DD DD

HH HH EEEEE LLLLL LLLLL OOOOOOO CCCCCCC II NN NN EEEEEE MM M A A EEEEEE DDDD

Tsk Wrong Font Sorry

Agree, it's a pipe dream Jeremy. The capital costs for a proper 3 screen cinema that the OP proposed plus the running costs won't compute to a few dozen posters on the EDF saying they'd like it. Go and ask the Montepleeier etc if their showings are worth doing 7 nights a week. We ain't the catchment area or transport links for this. How many independent Cinemas are there in London and where are they? That's what I'd be asking first. I think there's a handfull and they are in bigger, buzzier, better linked places than SE22

I'd like to think that it's possible. But considering the transport links, it would have to rely mainly on local customers. And I gather that rent round here is fairly expensive, so pricing will be a delicate balance. It sounds quite risky.

Fair enough - I'm not sure how solid the business model would be for 3 screens. I think a really good one screen cinema could be a possibility if there was somewhere suitable. I know cinema's in pubs have been mentioned, e.g. Montpelier and EDT but for me that's apples and oranges. I admit I've not been to the Montpelier one, but looking at photos of it, it's not really comparable to a well fited cinema with sofa style seating, big pro screen and sound etc.. I'm thinking somewhere of the quality of the Everyman in Hampstead or the like.

I'd have to agree with the couple of people here who have suggested it'd be more worthwhile to improve PeckhamPlex first and to offer support to places in ED currently doing small scale film screenings. It's nice to think about ED having its own cinema but I really think PeckhamPlex has a lot of potential if it's scrubbed up a bit and given a more appealing frontage/outer public area.

cosmonaut, I think you're onto something there. I understand that Peckham is the focus of a certain amount of regeneration, so I don't see why the cinema shouldn't be part of that. Rye Lane isn't exactly much of an evening destination at the moment, but I think it is improving.