Save ED police station petition

mlteenie

It is an ugly building, but I have fond memories of it, because when we were little they used to let us go in to the stables to see the horses. Basically, if it wasn't for those stables, the station would have been closed several years ago.

Forr the record, EDOldie is right, the corruption bit was from the place on the corner of Crystal Palace / Upland Road.

What annoys me is that none of us will benefit from it. If it is closed it will be replaced by housing, of that I am certain. I'd almost rather have an empty building there than have another property developer make more money.

I had a chat with a nice policeman a few months back whilst he was doing door to door inquiries about an illegal crime-like situation in the area. I asked about the station and he told me the building is structurally unsound and that it?s not repairable or that it would be cost prohibitive to repair it (it sounded like a subsidence thing). He said they need to move out and the building has to be torn down. I think I did ask if it?d been sold to M&S and vaguely remember him saying something about sorting out the building first before anything else was to be done.

I miss them riding around on the horses. A police lady let me pet the horses' nose once while the two of them were standing around outside the station . Awwwwwww.

I remember taking my daughter and her friend around the stables about 8 years ago - the police were very sweet to the children. My daughter was obssessed with police when she was younger. She insisted I took her into Peckham Police station once. They gave us an impropmtu tour and with inerring curiousity she dived straight into an armed response vehicle. Only in Peckham huh?

I would favour scrapping/demolishing the current impersonal monstrosity of a police station and replacing it with a much smaller community police/safer neighbourhoods office on LL (change of use for an empty shop perhaps). It would be permanently staffed and a place where you could drop in and report incidents, get advice, and get a bit of local gossip on the side. Out of curiosity, which office do the local wardens use as their 'base' ?

I agree with Muttley,the current monstrosity needs to be levelled but I don't hold out hopes of a police office in a shop premises providing the same level of service or covering as many hours as a fully functional police station. Probably only be open 9 - 5 when most of us are at work and not open at weekends when most of us are at home. If the Met have decided to close they will close end of story. They did it in Camberwell in the 1970's despite strong local opposition and opposition from local councillors. The office facility that remained for a number of years was finally closed as well. Police Station closures are happening all over the country driven by Home Office pressure on the police to save money. I drive round SouthLondon a lot and am saddened to see Shooters Hill Police Station boarded up, Chislehurst now a restaurant and Biggin Hill closed. What cahnce East Dulwich.