Dodgy woman - East Dulwich Road

Chick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I hate that term, it?s only ever used by racists

> or the magnificently ignorant.

>

> Which are you?

Only a moron or a wind-up-merchant would say something so obviously stupid.

Which are you?

Jesus what have I done!!

To clear it all up, she is white and english! Said she was from Kent...Im not sure though!

And thanks for the support...I am only trying to make people aware of her. Shes in your face and looking in your door before you know it! She was asking us if we had a computer, how much rent we pay, how many people we live with... very clever for someone who comes across as a victim of society!

And i think she was in our garden because she could see the door was open. Be careful! :)

Jeremy Wrote:

> northlondoner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What race was she? Seems important to mention

> race

> > on here when the miscreant is black . Just

> asking,

> > like.

>

> Give it a rest mate, people aren't interested in

> the chip on your shoulder.

I think that these threads give so much insight into the attitudes in ED. Am amazed that no-one has objected to her gender being identified - after all isn't that sexist according to the 'logic' of some of the posters here???

OF COURSE it is relevant to identify someone's ethnic origin and gender when you wish to describe them amidst a potentially huge group of people. They are the quickest and least changeable identifiable characteristics and the swiftest initial way to narrow down a group of people to hone in on one individual - which is the whole purpose of describing someone in a thread like this.

No-one is suggesting (not that I have seen anyway) that a person is dodgy BECAUSE they are black or female - it is other behaviour by the person that has aroused suspicion. However, an immediate and effective way to hone down a description if you want to let others be alert to a particular person is to start with gender and race, then move on to other less distinctive and potentially changeable characteristics such as hairstyle, clothing etc. To claim that such descriptions are implicitly racist is absurd.

And I was waiting for a couple of well-known posters to pop-up, bang on time - and demand confirmation that the woman was black - assuming that Emser was being too PC to say.

As it is, the fact that the woman is white confirms Northlonder's perfectly reasonable point. Thread hijacking or not - if you can't make that point here, when it's evident, when can you make it?!

Is it so difficult - for people to try and understand the implication of 'black' always being mentioned as a crime topline descriptive, but not so 'white'?! Take a few minutes and think it through!

Surely the identification issue is relatively simple to understand - we pick out those aspects of identity which make an individual stand out from the crowd - so in a predominantly white area (such as ED, which, cosmopolitan as it feels must be over 50% white), being black, or Asian etc. is 'unusual' - as would be non-natural hair colouring, facial hair, unusual height (tall or short) or weight and so on. If I was assailed by a white assailant, medium height and build, I might pick on hair colour, or clothing, or accent, or whatever to narrow down an identification - choosing whatever did make him, or her, stand out from the norm. If I lived in an African suburb however whiteness, being (relatively) unusual, would be an immediate thing I would record. This isn't (necesarily) about race but about identification.

Race is where I write (but I won't) - 'My attacker was black, of course...'

Jesskat... Yes this was straight after she was in our garden. Myself and partner went for a walk just to park across the road (Goose Green) but stopped on a bench to watch her. They were obviously your bins she was rummaging through, and then later went over to the two guys on another bench.

She told us she has a partner who does/ or has done some gardening. There is a guy on our street who sometimes carries buckets and other bits, blond/red hair tied in a ponytail, denim jacket. I think this could be her partner.

penguin68... You are probably right! As a white girl with brown hair, and her being the same, I suppose I only picked out the things that where not the norm for myself! I dunno where this whole race thing has come out of!

OMG she is not mentally unwell, she is just on drugs!

And I actually had the Police around yesterday because somebody was lingering in my back yard at midnight last night, and I mentioned her to them, and they know her very well!

You cannot just brand every drug addict with a mental illness!

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Here you are then I object to her being

> identified as a woman. Feel Better now? Oh yeah I

> think its implicitly racist.

What exactly is "implicitly racist"? Giving an accurate description of a potentially anti-social or criminal person in the area? What is "implicitly racist" about that? In order to avoid being "implicitly racist" should a poster warn others that there is someone in the area acting rather strangely that they should perhaps be alert for, yet choose to exclude from their description important identifying elements just in case it ruffles someone's PC feathers?

I am sure that there are some people who might harbour the attitude that it is inevitable that criminal elements will be from certain ethnic groups, yet there will be others who mention the race of the person behaving strangely simply to give a complete description. There are a number of posters on here who seem to take the default position that anyone who mentions the race of a person acting suspicously inevtably falls into the former group. Perhaps they might benefit fro entertaining the possibility that there are many whose motivations are inspired by the second category.

I have a Northern Irish accent. If I was acting strangely in the local neighbourhood (e.g. calling house-to-house on some dubious pretext) and someone posted that there was someone with an Ulster accent making suspicious house calls, I would not assume that this was anti-Irish prejudice. I would merely assume that someone wished to give as accurate a description as possible to differentiate me from other people and that my national origin as revealed by my accent was a highly relevant way to do this.

emser Wrote:

> OMG she is not mentally unwell, she is just on

> drugs!

> And I actually had the Police around yesterday

> because somebody was lingering in my back yard at

> midnight last night, and I mentioned her to them,

> and they know her very well!

> You cannot just brand every drug addict with a

> mental illness!

Addiction is considered a form of mental illness.