Assault in Dulwich Park

I was forwarded this message from my running club. I don't want to start a debate or anything, I just want to let other runners know. Just be aware and be sensible, remove your headphones if you're in isolated areas, my running club has a "no headphone" policy even in groups.

We have been informed by the park management of the below

"There was an assault on a female jogger in Dulwich Park yesterday (21st) by Roseberry lodge. It happened around 2.30 pm. The Lady was dragged towards the bushes by Lordship Lane estate. Luckily she put up a fight and got away. The attacker ran off, possibly leaving via Fireman's alley or court Lane"

Whilst we do not want to frighten any of you we thought it appropriate to let you all know and to remind you that whenever possible always run with another person especially when running round the joggers loop or through the forest adjacent to Cox's walk

That's terrible! Hope she's ok. Thanks for making everyone aware of this but it is frightening really to think that this person is laying in wait for someone. Another hour and it could have been a school age child. Hope they catch this person.

Thanks for the warning. I often cut through the park on my bike to that gate in the evening as the park is closing and will try to be alert. I see a lot of joggers at that time with headphones; I wonder if they'll put up any signs in the park itself.

Police release from today:

Police appeal for witnesses, Dulwich Park

28 May 2012

Appeal type

Crime

Incident Date

21/05/2012

Incident Location

Dulwich Park

Description

On Monday 21 May 2012, at about 2.30pm in East Dulwich Park SE22. A lone female jogger was assaulted by a black male wearing dark sports clothing. He ran off towards the Court Lane Gates.

Dc Suzanne Soren of Southwark CID Said, " This was an unprovoked attack on a women out running, it has left her very shocked and shaken. We are appealing for anyone who may have seen anything to come forward."

Were you in the park ?

Did you see anything please call, DC Suzanne Soren on 020 7232 7313 or you can speak to crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Thank you for posting this. It is really shocking and I hope the poor lady is okay.

I often run in Dulwich Park and wouldn't ever think you'd be at risk during the day. I think those who post about these crimes are doing us a favour by warning people and not trying to start debates as often seems to happen on the forum.

Police description: "assaulted by a black male". Oh dear, that's sure to bring out the bleeding heart liberals on the forum. Sigh. For God's sake, police, don't give people any information that could help catch this creep.