Woman terribly abusing young dog near Peckham Rye

Seen just before 2pm: A woman got off a 343 at the bus stop after Solomon's Passage on the corner of Peckham Rye (Nunhead side) and East Dulwich Rd with traffic lights. She had a young dog, probably a Lab or similar. The dog could hardly walk and was in a terrible state; either its rear left leg was broken or its rear left hip was displaced. She had a chain wrapped tightly round its muzzle and repeatedly leaned over it, screaming abuse and threatening. It seemed like a very nice dog but the poor creature was in UTTER UTTER MISERY.

The woman was in her late 30s or 40s with thick reddish-brown hair. It is possible she is mentally ill or has a personality disorder.

Someone in that neighbourhood KNOWS EXACTLY who this post is about. I urge that person, or those people, to step up to their moral responsibility and call either the police, Southwark ASB or the RSPCA NOW! None of these organisations is brilliant, to say the least, but you must try and keep trying!

As you read these words, this conscious, sensitive creature is suffering hideously. If no-one says or does anything it is totally predictable that it will die a prolonged and horrible death.

Somebody knows ---

Lee Scoresby.

I was en route to a medical appointment.

This has been haunting me ever since, believe me.

But ... even if I had confronted her, such are the freaked-up times in which we live, I might just have gotten MYSELF into a lot of bother. Plus, I had no way of identifying where she lives, not wanting to follow her there ---

P68, of the 3 organisations I mentioned, the jolly old RSPCA is the one I have zero respect for. Too many horror stories out there. I tried to get them to deal with an abused dog several years ago. Prolonged neglect at the back of a house whose address I gave them: that is, a sitting duck for investigation and action. Not a whisper back from them to this day! What they ARE very good at is PR - and that's about it for the useless old RSPCA.

I'm not saying an EDF reader does or does not know this person. I am certainly suggesting that we all live in not many degrees of separation from very many others. To be plain: someone reading this might know someone who lives in that area, or someone who knows someone - and so it goes like that, like a web or a ripple. A few texts or calls out to people we know CAN jog a neighbour of this obviously unwell woman and get this poor animal to safety. That I absolutely believe.

Lee Scoresby