The Green - Goose Green - Closed Down.

LibraCarr

Hi all,

It is really sad that the Green has closed down due to high rents (?47k per year). The strip has a fish restaurant which is struggling along with the chinese restauarant, also it appears that Raisins has closed too.

It is rumoured that a Italian restaurant will open there soon, but with that rent, the rates, staff and purchase of ingredients and liquor the cost to profit ratio will have to be a markup of 1000% to survive! Unless of course Tom Aitken or Gordon Ramsey are at the helm.

Regards,

Libr Carr.

I live opposite The Green. It?s not a surprise to anyone who gave it more than a fair chance that it?s gone. Lousy service; cold food; etc. Once Jean, the previous Manager left, it was downhill all the way ? you could see it coming. I admit that rent seems high and I don?t know enough about commercial rents in ED to comment, except to say that had The Green been managed properly and hired some decent staff and priced reasonably, it could still be in business IMHO. ED people voted with their feet. Shame for the staff there; or maybe not actually - they were incredibly surly. Several previous threads on this here I recall.

Hi,

I spoke with the former manager, a frenchman and extremely polite, a couple of weeks ago. He had a new job in N1. He got the sack after a week. I got the impression that he was to good for the restaurant and the owner felt threatened. He was a asset to the Green and filled the place, still money is essential, especially if you are a greedy owner.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

That is such a shame, i thought the service was ok - bit french, and you had to double check your bill, but i liked the place. The food was nice, the inside was spacious and bright. The outisde space was also good in the summer.

Are they part of the same chain as Le Chardon?

oh dear, what a pity, never mind

Th eoutside space was nice in the summer but we will survive. Now the premises themselves are pretty substantial aren't they.. haven't been back in aaaages but if I had the clout I would be thinking if it was possible to set up a one screen indie cinema there....with a little bar and cafe to make the money

I did have one of the nicest fillet steaks in the world ever there. However, that same evening, they totally buggered up the rest of our order and were quite rude about it, so never went back.

The saddest loss on that strip was good old Hannah's.

I too live opposite, and I'd occasionally pop over for coffee or breakfast on a sunny morning,

but I have to agree with others on here, the service was generally poor, and the food pretty

ordinary. Still, it's a shame to see a business fail, hope it doesn't stand empty for too long.

Yes!!! It was truly awful, they consistently took the p*** and they've paid the price. No business can disregard its customers like this for so long and continue to get away with it.

On a personal level, I do feel sorry for the owners - it's a horrible thing when a business you've put your belief, sweat and money into doesn't work out - genuine commiserations. However, as a customer, I can't wait to get a far better run place in that location - with the outside space they have there someone half decent should be cleaning up.