is it illegal to save parking spaces?

It's a bit pathetic really. There seems to be an arrangement with the neighbouring property who parks their bike in the most non-space-efficient way possible to extend "their" collective parking space.

Agree with WoD, perhaps ring the highways dept. of the council and see if they can do something like send them a letter, warning that if they continue to do this they will be fined.......or do what GrahamP says. Unpleasant, but then their bins should not be in the street. Am sure that is some kind of blocking the road offence.

This reminds me of my office stationary situation. The stationary is available for everyone to use and belongs to no-one. There is a girl in my work who has labeled all of her (office) stationary with her name (first and last, just in case) and won?t lend it out, or let it go out of her sight without a booming voice resonating across the room ?Who has STOLEN my stapler?!?

It?s not your stapler for anyone to steal or for you to make your own. You douche bag.

Anyway, I do digress.

I agree with the comments above ? your neighbours are being extremely immature and have proven to be deludedly territorial human beings.

So why don?t you hit them back with an even more juvenile response?

Here?s what I would do.

Get a gorilla suit.

Visit the bathroom for any 1s &2s (let?s try and be a bit adult about this)

Put on gorilla suit.

Get into your neighbour?s parking-space-saving-bin.

Wait until the moment said neighbor pulls up in their car and is about to move their bin out of the way for their superior car? then BAM! Jump the hell outta that bin as high as you can whilst roaring as loud as you can and thumping your chest (you?ll most likely know already that?s what the chief Gorilla does when another encroaches on his habitat).

Even if the only result this has is increasing your neighbours awareness of what consequences their self-centered actions (i.e. pissing off their new neighbor) are having, it should still be a laugh 

In fact, I reckon (apart from scaring 10 different colours of sh*te outta the car-space-nicking ones) your other neighbours will respect you immensely. Hell, they may even rename the street after you or erect a bronze statue of you on Goose Green!

May the force be with you, Whatever?

Salsaboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just move the bins to the end of the road. Works

> best if the bins have house numbers on them, which

> I suspect they will have.

What purpose would that serve except to make a helluva noise? It would be seen by lots of people and possibly the people who put the bins out, or their friends.

i'm sorry i'm really not inclined to agree with any of you!!! i live in dulwich on a residential street & have one car... my neighbours, have 3 vehicles... another neighbour has 5! when i come home late in the night i have to park miles away from my doors.. worst of all i have kids!!!

i also have a nutty mechanic who parks many vehicles on our road which doesn't help matters... sometimes putting my bin out on the road gets me a parking space!

as illegal as it may be i think we all have a right to park close to our houses! i think the only selfish people are the ones who have more than one or two vehicles per property!!!!!!

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i'm sorry i'm really not inclined to agree with

> any of you!!! i live in dulwich on a residential

> street & have one car... my neighbours, have 3

> vehicles... another neighbour has 5! when i come

> home late in the night i have to park miles away

> from my doors.. worst of all i have kids!!!

> i also have a nutty mechanic who parks many

> vehicles on our road which doesn't help matters...

> sometimes putting my bin out on the road gets me a

> parking space!

> as illegal as it may be i think we all have a

> right to park close to our houses! i think the

> only selfish people are the ones who have more

> than one or two vehicles per property!!!!!!

No, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to park close to your house. None. "Worst of all I have kids". What does that mean. Are you saying that you somehow have some sort of priority for parking? Are your kids disabled? Don't they walk? Having kids was your lifestyle choice (I preseume) and I don't see how it is relevant. When your kids grow up they might buy cars. This would make you a multi-car house. Will you then be one of the selfish people? I'm not following your arguments and frankly Sweetgirl you don't sound that sweet to be plonking a bin outside your house to reserve "your" space.

I used to have a neighbour who would periodically use anybody's bins to save his space, my god it drove me insane... for a good year I dreamt about what I'd love to do to his car... I even thought about getting some smelly old fish and placing it by his air conditioning vents, I also considered, actually, I won't say...anyway as time passed he carried on regardless and I learnt to let it go thinking that what goes around comes around... he continues to do it to this day. I have since moved 3 streets away so out of sight out of mind..

The right answer would be to report it to the local council who will penalise him/them with a fine.

Does it happen every day? Maybe it's just bin collection day and they've left their bin out to be collected? Or they are at work and the bin men have not put it back?

Do you have a car and find you can't park outside your own home then?

giggirl - your post was quite offensive really, about "are your kids disabled" and "don't they walk" and about talking about lifestyle choices (I presume) - people do have children.

So straferjack, you have children, but are agreeing with giggirl?

It's clear she doesn't have children (lifestyle choice).

Why did she have to bring up about being disabled in a very nonchalant way though in a post about parking?