New bus countdown information boards in ED

Haven't done it myself, but would love to set up a company that times these information boards with a stop watch. I'm sure Google/Facebook would pay me billions.

What annoys me is when several 'out of service' buses whizz past, knowing thet are going to pass the very stops I wish to go to. This should be outlawed. Any bus with a driver burning fuel should pick up passengers en route even if that route terminates early.

There is no excuse for an empty bus

> I'm with Bic Basher - damn handy website.

Which, with cookies working, very satisfactorily remembers your own stops of interest, at least on a PC. It's much more convenient to know there's a 37 coming in five minutes than to set out from home and then spend twenty minutes standing at a bus stop wondering when the next one will arrive.

If you don't have a smart phone, as Peckham Poet says, you can text the reference number of the bus stop to TfL, and get back the arrival times of the next few buses. TfL says it will cost you 12p, but on my contract with t-Mobile (big numbers of free call minutes and texts, i never use them up) it costs 24p. I do still use it often as it helps me decide whether to wait for the bus i really want, or get the next arrival and change. I heard that TfL were stopping installing new information boards at bus stops - indeed, new bus stops were clearly being installed without them, and wrote to them pointing out that that is really unhelpful for people without mobiles or on pay-as-you-go.

I got this answer:

Thank you for your enquiry.

We have no intention of discriminating against anyone and merely wish to make real time bus arrival information as widely available to as many passengers as possible.

I can advise that new and improved Countdown signs will also replace all the existing 2,000 signs at bus stops, with an additional 500 new signs at selected key stops. The new signs have improved visibility for visually impaired passengers and will display more travel information than the old signs. (New technology means improved readability to ensure they comply with disability guidelines). We're also looking at bus stop independent audio options to help blind and partially sighted people.

The roll out of the new signs at key locations across London will be completed in 2012. A full list of all locations that will receive a new sign can be consulted at our website:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/11560.aspx

I hope this information is helpful. Please don?t hesitate to contact us again for any further assistance you may require.

Yours sincerely

Alan Bignell

Transport for London - Customer Services

DO NOT DELETE.............................

{ticketno:[2216840]}

DO NOT DELETE.............................

Your enquiry dated 03.11.2011:

Some bus stops have indicator boards to let passengers know when the next bus is arriving. This is very useful if you are trying to

decide whether to get the first bus then change, or wait for the direct one. But I notice that these are no longer being installed.

I have used the bus arrivals information text service a few times recently. It is useful, but takes much longer than reading an

indicator board, and costs 12p each time, plus text cost. I think this discriminates against people without mobiles, against

elderly people who may not be able to text easily, and against poor people who may have Pay As You Go phones and be unable to

afford the text and the charge. Please reconsider your decision to no longer install the very useful bus arrival indicator boards.

The SMS text system uses a short 5 digit code. MY work phones (which I pay for all personal use) blocks such short text codes. I suspect that's the same for many.

I still don't get how the replacement Countdown system can be costs so many tens of millios. All they need is electricity, a smart phone core, minimal bandwidth, and a display. For the amount TfL are spending every bus stop should have a Countdown 2.0.