Door to door charity collections

I have standing orders to charities of my choice, and I don't consider myself mean, but am I alone in really objecting to people coming to my door collecting for charity? It feels like an invasion of privacy.

It's bad enough with the chuggers and Big Issue sellers down Lordship Lane.

Unless you have very deep pockets, it's impossible to give to everybody who wants your money, but some of these people seem to think you ought to :-S

I refuse to give anybody money - or sign DDs - who comes to the door, or asks for money in the street or who calls me. I just tell them I need time to consider and can they give me/send me some information. It's polite, gives you time to consider and gets rid of them.

silverfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like the "...it's only ?3 a week..." speel. If I

> gave ?156 per year to all the charity collectors

> who've come to my door over the past year I'd need

> charitable help myself.

xxxxxx

Yes, exactly.

And sometimes they look at you as if you're the absolute pits when you say you can't afford to give to everyone.

And I really don't have time - and don't see why I should, anyway - to go into a long explanation of who I already give to and why I can't afford to give to anybody else.

I think knocking on people's doors asking for money, even if it's for a charity, is verging on intimidation. How many people sign up just to get rid of them, or because they don't want to look mean?

I started the thread because they purported to not be linked to any group but I googled them, found out the truth and felt obliged to inform the forum. Some youngsters came round once trying to collect money- during school time- I thought it a bit weird so I phoned the British Heart Foundation where they said they were from and it was all lies- I reported it to the police.

I agree with Sue- we are all intelligent enough to choose our charities and they should not come door to door.

The Minkey - How on Earth do you know this is legit from a post on the East Dulwich Forum?

Forgive me to be so blunt, but if this is your true opinion, then you are the PERFECT target for fraudsters and the like.

And if someone comes to my door collecting for the blah blah blah on behalf of any church (which only ever happens when I have returned from a stressful day in the office and have sat down to eat my dinner) I'll be telling them in a firm but mostly polite way to ef off.