How to look good postnatally

Lochie

I was just wondering if anyone has any magic products/ bits of make up they can recommend that they apply quickly in the morning before leaving the house to help them look a bit human and feel vaguely attractive? Also any tips for clothes shops that you've discovered postnatally that you wouldn't have considered before, that have realistically dressed your new figure and made you feel pretty good? (went into topshop this week and will not be stepping through their doors again!)

Am very grateful for my healthy offspring but I would quite like to regain some sense of my pre baby appearance with the tiny time I have each day. Current comfort outfits of mouldy primark dressing gown and/or baggy grey hoody are wearing a bit thin. Last week husband 'JOKED' I looked like someone from Shameless and a few days later when I was sporting a greasy side ponytail and fave hoody he joked (again..!) that I belonged in a Tracey Emin installation ;-(

Any tip sharing for quick but effective ways to look good as a harassed mum? any shops that have provided you with failsafe clothing that have hidden the bits you want hidden and lifted the bits you want shown?

I still hate how I look in my clothes so can't help there. In winter I did jeans and baggy jumpers but I always make sure I shower before my other half goes to work and at an absolute minimum a tinted moisturiser, makes me feel a bit sane.. More often than not I throw on some face powder and blush but rarely make it to the mascara stage and big sunnies help too!!

Hope that helps..

I swear by magic knickers primark ?5 keep all those wobbly bits under control..also invest in bronzer and light good quality foundation with highlighter in it, most make up brands are doing it but I have just bought one for ?2.50 mula range super drug it's fab!

I wore a lot of tea dresses and cardys post preg, jeans with long cardys or plain black maxi t shirt dresses with cardys yes I had and still do have a small cardy fetish lol

shoes were always my friend and I invested heavily...

My friend had proper false lashes done which meant she didn't have to walk around with pea eyes or one eye massacred and one naked...I did this often!

this stage passes and I'm sure you look fab even if you don't feel it,

xxxx

Urgh I look permanently haggard 6 months in (2nd baby). Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser helps as does heavy duty comcealer for under the eyes. Dry shampoo is great now I don't have time to wash my hair every day and really cheap. Not sure about clothes, I got a few bits in the Gap sale which helped and 1 pair of cheap Uniqlo jeans in the next size up. Dresses don't always work if you're breastfeeding so I'm always looking for ones that have buttons or can be worn over jeans. Hope that's a bit helpful!

Oh i hear you! I am still in the Pull on whatever is nearest stage usually tired leggings so cant help on the clothes front.. I have today ventured Out for first ime without baby and had eyebrows threaded and eyelashes tinted, made me feel more groomed. Also have a tinted moisturiser (laura mercier or bobi brown)and a cream stick blusher (bobi brown) in in baby changing bag so when baby is asleep whilst pondering pr park i can stop and quickly dab it on, takes two seconds!

Sorry not much in terms of help. My hubby said when i asked for reassurance about looks that i was the still the most beautiful woman in the world-ON THE INSIDE!!! Made me burst into tears in my sleep deprived hormonal state...

Hope to see you soon

C xx

Get a pair of jeans that fit you well. Gap do a 'curvy skinny' which I have switched to as their normal skinnies don't work any more. Otherwise if you are prepared to spend a bit more you could try the personal shopper at selfridges or another big dept store? I tried some james jeans there which were very flattering but wasnt prepared to shell out for them.

If you are still losing weight though just spend a little on some nice casual clothes. For me it's jeans, tee shirts and some trainers I like. A friend has a 'boob' hoody and I think they look good. Then it's just shower every day (baby on bath mat with a few toys gives me enough time to wash my longish hair) and mascara and eyebrows done if I'm feeling like a pick me up!

Thanks for all the tips they are so useful, I'm definitely going to get a lash tint and brow shape and tinted moisturiser to get rid of that 'deathly glow' ;-) I've already got some Laura m stuff so will happily buy her tinted moisturiser.

Think I need to see gok wan about my wardrobe though to fathom how I get the appearance of a waist and perky boobs...or maybe at leasat buy some spanx and a wonder bra. Just feel my body shape has totally changed so maybe a visit to a dept store shopper would be worth it

Thanks again :-)

A few months ago I discovered nars blusher in orgasm and I have not looked back. I also looked at what shape dresses flatter me the most and found that shift dresses make my baby belly disappear and if they fall just above the knee make me look sleeker, so during the day I wear jeans and any old top, but if I want to feel a bit more dressed up I put on a dress. I bought a couple of black which can be dressed up or down depending on where I am going.

Hiya I find no matter how knackered I feel in the morning a hot shower always revives me. I think blusher is the one item of make-up that instantly makes a difference (I use Bobbi Brown) and I brush some on before leaving the house - takes two seconds. I also try and get out of the house every day for a walk, fresh air and exercise does wonders for the complexion! Only one pair of my old trousers fit me, and after coming to terms with the fact that I need to go two sizes bigger I have bought a few pairs of chinos from Primark (?11) and they are great - comfortable and available in cheery colours as well as flattering grey and black. I have also bought a pair of jeans that actually fit, from Fenton Walsh - much easier to shop for these locally rather than traipsing into town, and choose from a smaller range with shop assistant there to help you. Hope this helps!

Garnier BB cream or Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser are good for perking up your face, and definitely agree about the blusher. I also refuse to leave the house without mascara. I have a couple of smock style tops with buttons that I wore non-stop for the first few months - they looked nice with stretchy skinny jeans and were good for breastfeeding. I was planning to pass them on so you are welcome to them if you'd like them. They are White Stuff, size 14, one is a pinky/red check shirt style and the other dark blue with bright pink flower print. I also found the uniqlo jean leggings so comfy and forgiving of my belly - unfortunately I've already passed mine on. Don't spend too much on jeans - I got some lovely Seven ones which were too big for me within months!

My staple semi-presentable mum outfit at the moment is a jersey wrap dress (no ironing required) with M&S opaque suck you in tights underneath, the kind with built in shapewear, and a nice pair of knee high flat boots. The tights are surprisingly comfortable and were only about ?6 a pair and give you a nice smooth shape. Then largest, most glamorous scarf from wardrobe slung around neck which spruces it all up and acts as stain coverer! The dresses I got were from People Tree and are made from nice thick fabric and were not too expensive.

Neat eyebrows also make me feel more groomed. The ladies that do it in the shops on Rye Lane are just as good as anywhere else and the last time I went I was charged the ridiculous sum of ?3 (I gave her a tip of course!).

That is a really good tip about rye lane for brows! I always worry the cheaper the price the more likely they'll give me a really bad 'surprised look' brow but if they are as good as the expensive places I'll give them a go...thanks cazbee

Lochie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That is a really good tip about rye lane for

> brows! I always worry the cheaper the price the

> more likely they'll give me a really bad

> 'surprised look' brow but if they are as good as

> the expensive places I'll give them a go...thanks

> cazbee

I go to the place called Nubian Hair and Beauty in the bit of Rye Lane between Choumert Road and the station. It's on the left hand side heading towards the station. I always go by the brows of the ladies doing the job and theirs are always immaculate, no surprised looks!

I find a quick swipe of blusher makes all the difference. I also have a lovely lip stain from the beauty shop on Northcross Road called Beach Stain in watermelon, it looks and feels completely natural and doesn't dry your lips or come off when you kiss your baby. Then I just put vaseline or lip balm on top when I'm out during the day.

I got a very flattering pair of very stretchy comfy jeans from Oasis the other day, ?20 in the sale in Debenhams in Clapham Junction. They fit neatly on the bum but have lots of room in the belly area. (Which I still need 2 years on!) Nothing more depressing than saggy bum jeans. Levis also do great fitting jeans in lots of waist / hip ratios if you want to spend a bit more on them. Also found some very forgiving tops in White Stuff and M&S that are loose enough to hide the lumps but not so baggy you still feel like you're in maternity clothes.

I'm 37 (eek) and have not once in my life used either blusher or false eyelashes... I wouldn't know where to start! I've never been a big makeup wearer, other than foundation, and I don't wear that very often these days either.

Am I missing out? I'm worried that I'd look like a clown if I put blusher on!

Pickle, I don't wear blusher either. My skin is really, really fair and it's actually quite difficult to find blushers that don't end up making me look like I have a fever/sunburn!

By false eyelashes, people are presumably talking about those realistic looking semipermanent ones that are usu applied at the salon? I had similar for my wedding, but I would find them too fussy for everyday wear.

I suppose it depends on what you think are your best/worst features, and how you want to highlight them.

Olay does a nice tinted moisturiser with sunscreen, if you just want to pick up something cheap off the shelf.

I also like Benefit's Lemon Aid concealer. I use a tiny bit on eyelids and under eyes, little goes a long way. http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/product/view/lemon-aid

They have lots of other concealer products too, depending on what/where needs attention. http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/product/category/makeup/concealer

Fiona Tanner is a local make-up artist who is amazing at helping you understand how to maximise your best features. She came a did a "make-up party" at my house about a year ago. I think she charged ~20?/pp, and spent at least 45min with each of us. http://www.ftmakeuplondon.com/

Pickle you could always go to one of the makeup counters in a department store and get them to pick the right shade and show you how to put it on. I really like Bobbi Brown, their colours are all quite natural. I think it's almost impossible to pick the right shade of foundation and blusher without someone to help you as they all look so similar in the packaging.

I have never tried false eyelashes either, am convinced I would forget all about them, rub my eyes and ruin them within 5 minutes.