The Village Inn (was The Page 2 pub)

the page 2 pub on 57 nunhead lane is now changed name and management to the village inn...

sunday lunch starts 6th jan from 12pm we also have a jazz lunch on sun 13th with andrea mann & dave cliff, well known east dulwich musicians. we will have real fires roaring and plenty of sofas for you to unwind.

trytapas starts thursday 10th january - we have a opening offer available all january.

quiz nite every thursday starts also jan 10th ?2 entry winner keeps the pot

live music will be either every friday or sunday - we will keep you posted with whats comming

every saturday we have a different djs playing starting jan 12th with joe muggs on till 1pm

regards jason

• 2 weeks later...
Went down there on Saturday night after seeing a flyer on a lamp post in LL, didn't notice much difference in the decor etc from the Page 2 Bar days, and no real ale on draught, but the music was good and we had a good time, friendly vibe and nice dog, we will definitely go again :)-D

I popped in on Sunday and it was very noticeabl that it was a new bar - there is now a proper connection between the two sides for a start, so you don't have to go outside, walk down the road and into the back bar

Agree about the lack of ales Sue - I was with an ale drinker so didn't stop, but I liked the feel of the place and willbe back also

It is under new management. They've made some structural changes (e.g. linking the front and back bars), and given it a paint job (it is now much lighter - think it was painted a deep red before) but they've kept all the original features like the wood panelling etc and they still have the mismatched furniture and old, battered chesterfield sofas. We've been once for Sunday lunch. It was their first day serving lunch and think they were feeling the pressure a bit, but what we had was very nice. I agree with Sue about the friendly vibe - the only negative (which might be a plus for some) was that they had the football on when we were having our lunch in the back bar when some music would have been better suited to relaxing with sunday lunch/papers. And yes, that painting is still there.

We popped in too on Sunday, the fact there were no ales meant the ale drinker in our party wasn't happy so we left after a Guinness. The new layout makes use of the whole space but there are dead areas around the place and it could do with more tables and chairs (they should go and ask in the Green if they're getting rid of their furniture). It's still in it's infancy and it's a great old pub so we'll go back soon to see how it's doing soon.

Oh yes, the music was very good with Chantoozie singing. Her website plays her music which we had on at home before we went out. Nice.

When we were there there was a veggie option on the Sunday lunch menu - Aubergine Manchego bake - with all the usual roast trimmings (veg, roasties etc). Not sure how it would work with the trimmings and we stuck with the beef that day, but I had the aubergine manchego bake when we went for tapas at Tapastry in Honor Oak Park and it was seriously delicious. Even my very carnivorous, and generally aubergine hating, other half enjoyed it.

thanks for all your constructive feedback.....

its always been a policy of mine to not spend money i havn't got, ive been in business for 11 years and become imune to the fact this game in is fickle- and rightly so, we all work hard for leisure time and we want to enjoy our creature comforts.

its never been my style to get the violin out and seek pity, i actually thrive on the process in building something up on a shoestring...yep i hold my hands up i cant please everyone at the mo ....

it is my intention to have draught ale immently - but at present i just cannot aford to have wastage...for the short term i have a selection of 5 bottled ales. Bishop finger, spitfire, old empire e.t.c

the evening tapas & sunday lunch is up and running..together with the thursday quiz,live music on friday and diffrent djs on saturday...

all i can say for now now bare with us were making improvements from week to week....

all the best

jason

Just visited ...very impressed with how much the vibe has changed. I think as they are unable to pump money straight in this one is going to be a slow burner. Having sampled the atmos and new vibe I think it is going to be worth the wait. It reminded me of one of those pubs that you hung out in when you were younger, everyone was there but there was no specific reason why it just had a good vibe.