Report Recent Crime here. The Blue Lamp.

Thread for recent crime and safety news.

If everyone posts crimes in ED here then they will also help to establish trends etc - if it gets used then maybe it could become a sticky. Also means that alarming headlines don't keep appearing in the forum whilst I accept for those who have been affected it must be very disturbing it's important for the community to keep an overall sense of proportion and not get too fearful.

(Text stolen from ibilly!)

Shouldn't we all be aware to take care of our houses and possessions and follow common sense procedures and assume there is a small minority in our community that wishes us harm or wishes to steal our possessions. How does itemising every single incident on a separate thread on the general ED forum contribute to our overall sense of well being and safety. The magic of a new forum - such as the Blue Lamp would be victims can report and be supported and those that wish can be informed - if anybody posts by mistake in general the mods could then move the thread to the Blue Lamp section. Stickies in this sub forum could be advice from the police - link to the crime map , scam alerts and the like.

Years ago there used to be yellow incident boards all over the place and I think the police removed most of them as they were adding to the fear factor rather than helping solve the crime.

BTW does anybody remember the dodgy night club Kings on the Rye where on the w/e lots of dodgy geezers would park up and there was a drug related murder just behind it. (It's now a block of flats on the Peckham Rye intersection opposite the old Burnet,Ware and Graves). Always wanted to go in but didn't dare - plus drugs were openly sold in that backstreet pub near the Gowlett - the Oglander which was an interesting night out and full of characters.

Those were the pre-gentrification days - and the Heaton Arms- good old fashioned boozer al la Castle stylee- more flats I'm afraid. And Reg the landlord of both the Mag and the Palmerston who drove a Jag and was a sort of Arthur Daley character, Oooh memories I shall miss the place...

maxxi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> charlottekb Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > why? things will get lost in one thread.

>

>

> Or stolen...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:))

Admin I see your frustration and I apologise for my rambling non sequiter but the rules would be strict if there was a sub forum - no off topic discussions - just crime reports, victim sympathy and safety tips. Misuse would be like dialling 999 because you were locked out of your house.

I appreciate the sentiment, I really do, but the first few posts on this thread are trivial and do not set the tone for a thread where victims are invited to talk about crime. I don't like seeing thread after thread about crime any more than I liked the yellow boards. I was glad to see the back of the yellow boards. The recent threads about muggings have been nasty. I can't see those women clicking on this thread, seeing reminisces about Kings on the Rye, drug shootings and strippers, and feeling that this is an appropriate or sympathetic place to post.

There is nothing funny and nothing trivial about crime. Nothing. I'm not suggesting for a second that you don't know that - merely that the tone is misjudged. I don't think it is wrong to start a thread but I'm afraid I don't like the way this one has gone already.

ibilly99 wrote:

BTW does anybody remember the dodgy night club Kings on the Rye where on the w/e lots of dodgy geezers would park up and there was a drug related murder just behind it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely. When we were burgled in our previous home at G.Green, the police advised us to pop down to the Kings on the Rye and buy all our gear back. :(

Mind you, for muggings and nasty attacks, especially like these on women at the moment, I and possibly many others might not check The Blue Lamp every day, whereas if a post was put on main forum you can't fail to miss it.

I, for one, being female, am very glad to have spotted these recent posts, whether related or not, especially as I too live on a road near the station, so am being on high alert at present.

Maybe burglaries and other property crimes could go in the Lamp.

Agreed if there's real danger and people need alerting then a separate thread is a good idea. If its yet another burglary - not wishing to to belittle the trauma these cause. I have been burgled and know all the emotions you feel, however this thread is a good log for patterns of crime.

ibilly99 - the yellow boards were probably adding to the fear factor but were also "lowering the tone of the area".

This is what my brother-in-law was told by the police, when he was violently mugged and attacked on Denmark Hill a few years ago.

Apparently, people living in some of the houses had complained that it "lowered the tone of the area" so maybe this could be why you don't see many yellow boards asking for help now.

The ideal way for this thread to work would be that users would ONLY make their initial report of a crime on this - with any comments, notes of sympathy, discussion etc. posted to another thread. That way this thread would sink down the list during 'quiet' times and only rise to the top when a new crime was reported.

Even better would be two threads, one for crime about property, and one crime which involved injury or attack on people. That way regular readers would be getting a 'crime thermometer'. And simple comments and words of sympathy wouldn't keep the apparent incidence at the top of the listing.

But I don't think we can expect such an orderly approach from forum-ites - and indeed those new to the forum wouldn't necessarily have any idea of such a convention.

I imagine some of the reason people post crime stories is to get some support and reassurance from other members of community. It is scary and alienating being the victim crime especially if violence is involved ? you can feel very alone. I think it is nice that people can do that here and feel there are people who live near by who are on their side. It not to scare people or provide a useful barometer of overall crime levels. Telling people not to on the main room because you can?t be bothered hearing about it or because it scares people doesn?t sound right to me.

Agree with henryb. If posting crime details makes someone think about not walking about with their expensive phone on show, or makes someone review their home security procedures, such as locking their downstairs windows, which apparently a lot of people do not do, then it's an important resource. Double locking their front and back doors is also something a lot of people do not do.