Castles in Kent?

Second vote for Hever! We used to go there loads when I was little.

Although technically it's in East Sussex (but pretty much on the Kent border) you could try Bodiam Castle. It's National Trust and is a "perfect example of a late medieval moated castle." Also went here when I was younger, and really enjoyed it!

Bodiam Castle Website

*Edited to correct spelling*

We went to Leeds, it's a lovely place, very easy to get to and we had a fun day, but the ?17 charge for the obligatory annual ticket was a bit steep. The other times we have thought about going back, they were closed.

I think we will try Hever Castle next, and altgough it is not a castle, Chertwell is meant to be a fun day out for everyone.

Arundel Castle is fab, it has a proper Motte and Bailey and a Keep and you can walk on the battlements.

Walmer and Dover are good.

Battle Abbey is not a castle, and there's not much left, but it has an excellent description of the Battle of Hastings, nice grounds, woods with a battle-themed playground.

Windsor - stuffy and boring and no good grounds to explore. (and not Kent)

If you go to Hever take towels and change of clothes because there's a maze that squirts water, unless they turn it off in cold weather. It was really hot when I last went. I really like Leeds Castle - it is expensive but worth it if you'll go a few times in the year.

Arundel is like a storybook castle. There is also a lovely bird sanctuary (with nice child friendly bits), as well as a nice pub to sit next to the river.

Bodiam is also a great day out. If you're feeling adventurous, you can take an old steam train from the charming Kent and East Sussex Railway in Tenterden, which is a a nice country ride. There is a pleasant pub across the road from the castle entrance, and it has a big garden for children to run around while you eat a nice peaceful lunch. The views are spectacular. It should be noted that the castle itself is pretty much just crumbling walls on the inside, but children love it. Check online for special days as well, they have some neat festivals.

Hever is beautiful but less child friendly I think (just my view).

Leeds is great value if you go a few times. They have a wonderful Santa's grotto.

Dover Castle is a good place for lousy weather, as there are more indoor options. If you haven't been to the secret war tunnels in the cliffs, I would rate it a must see.

The inside of Hever Castle is not great, but the grounds are lovely, the water maze thing very good, the kids climbing adventure playground is good and they often have days where you can watch jousting, if you check their website. I think it also has a maze.

The cafe is expensive and serves the most horrible food I have ever paid for on a day out. But it has beautiful picnic spots.

Leeds Castle food is also expensive but not horrible.

My eldest loves Hever, Chartwell not so much. We haven't yet been to Bodiam, but I have very fond memories of it as a child as being a proper castle, as posted above.

If you are visiting Hever or Chartwell, a shameless plug for my mum's restaurant which is a short drive from both:

Haxted Mill

Lovely food, and tables out on the terrace by the river Eden if the weather is good. There is also a small watermill museum in the building next door.