Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

I had a great evening

Met georgia, hibbs and Mike P in Bar Story where we stopped for a couple

On to Ganapati where everyone seemed to enjoy the non-standard-issue decor and menu. More drinks (including a very gorgeous Cab Sauv from Australia - unfortunately it packed a 15.5% wallop - not a hope of finishing that!) and some gorgeous food (IMO)

I had the Andhra Spicy Lamb with Paratha

Pieces of leg of lamb cooked dry with onion, black pepper, chilli and garam masala, served with paratha.

Which was much hotter than I expected (this a A Good Thing in my book) and there was plenty of it

georgia had the

Potato and Black eyed -Bean Curry

Black eyed -bean and potatoes cooked home style with ginger, green chilli and garam masala served wtih raita, pickle and pappadoms

which I had a dip into - I know vegetarian food has a fine tradition in Indian cooking and it was very nice but I wouldn't substitute for a meat dish

The others had

Kerala Kozhi Curry

Chicken breast cooked in traditional roasted coconut & coriander masala

Which appeared to have a very succulent chicken breast on the bone, if a tad on the small side. The parathas bulked things up nicely and were very fresh, hot and delish

I loved every bit of my food and can happily recommend to everyone. Whilst it was a shame more people didn't turn up it allowed the 4 of us to have a good old natter and we even finished with another drink in the Montpelier on the way home

A small but select and perfectly formed gathering of the curry club - Hibbs, Sean Mc G, Georgia and me. We met in Bar Story - nice place with a good vibe - I think I will revisit, their cocktail happy hour seems generous.

My first time in Ganapati. Nice ambience, cool cafe feel. I liked the menu as it was quite short, but with a good variety. This gives me the impression that what I am getting will be freshly prepared and cooked and wont be one of an infinite variety of similar curries pulled from the freezer.

I had the Murgh Khozi - cocanut flavour, nice and spicy, breast on the bone, boiled rice and a fun,layered bread. The main courses come with rice or bread depending.

We drank Cobra and some mind bogglingly strong red wine.

My only concern was that the popadum comes in portions and are broken and then artfully piled - they come with 4 pickles. Now, the quantity of popadum and pickle didnt in my mind justify the cost. I prefer the old fashioned approach of receiving whole popadoms and knowing what I am paying per pop and for the pickles. Minor thing, but the details do count.

Cost for: pops, 4 main courses, rice, bread, beers and wine was ?25 each including tip.

All in all a happy experience in a restaurant that is different from the rest, and in a good way. I will be returning and would be happy to take visiting friends.

We retired to the Montpelier - my first visit for ages and certainly since the refurb. Nice pun with a modern restrained feel.

• 1 month later...
As I cannot find my diary I'm currently free most evenings...so I can do Tues of w/c 21st or am happy to go the following week, the sooner the better as far as I am concerned as I am experiencing curry cravings at the moment - most strange!

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I seemed to remember the bill most when I went to

> the ganapati with my eldest daughter ?40 and the

> previous week we were fed every bit as well at the

> rye hotel and the cost was half the amount.

The Rye do South Indian Food???

I don't think ?40 for 2 people to eat out is bad at all.

I went to Ganati yesterday, was good.

what is this curry club thing ?

is it like a member's club where everyone has a mouth full of peshwari nan ?

stuffing bhajis down the throat and such ?

do I need a photo ? who do I join ?

I sometimes feel I'm big rounded yellow chickpea, a curry would suit my shape.

29th is OK for me - and for the curry addicts among us we can always slip in a crafty one before then.

Anybody can join the Curry Club - just turn up. Although please post your attendance so that we know numbers and can book a table.

It is also useful to let us know if you cannot then make it as we can adjust the booking.

We normally meet in a convenient pub beforehand.

Where do we fancy going? Any we havent been to yet?