Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

A small hard-core of Curryites met at the FHT for stiffeners before the long yomp to Omrith. Floating Onion, Georgia, Mr Geor....(no strike that) - SMILINGMOON and me.

The place was very quiet, so we tried to be as noisy as possible.

I cant remember what we all had - there was far too much of it generally and whole herds of cloven footed animals seemed to be have been grilled for our delectation and delight. It was all very nice.

The Bangra beer made a nice change.

I slept badly last night as I had SO much food stuffed inside my stomach and the large cheek pouches which come in so usefully on such occasions.

I have three boxes of surplus rice and curry and 3 breads in my freezer.

Tomorrow I am trying the Wetherspoons Thursday Curry Club offering - delicious no doubt. It will be interesting to compare and contrast.

No no... not the Wetherspoons Curry Club!!

I actually went to Ganapati last night... it was pretty good. One of the dishes was lovely, the other was a little bland. The dessert was delicious. But they screwed up our reservation, and they didn't bring the veg dish at first - so I think they need to sort out the service a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas Eve I went to the Pistachio Club with a curry eating buddy, I had the chicken and almond korma, my buddy had the chicken jalfrezi.

We both felt it was the best korma and jalfrezi we had had in many a month and could not understand why it was so empty there was only one other couple in there.

We had tried tandoori nights, curry cabin, and hisar which were all full so ended up at the Pistacio club by default. Very pleased that I did too, it is the best curry I have had in east dulwich.

So I thought it was worth a mention.

I've still not made a curry club meeting but did manage to visit Babur over Yuletide. The food was excellent - service very friendly, tho' a little slow (particularly the drinks).

Popadoms & dips were crisp and slightly (interestingly) different. Starters of grilled, spiced quail and grilled, spiced venison cutlets were superb. Mains of braised Lamb Shank and Rabbit were equally good. Sides were perfect too. A little more expensive than the run of the mill curry house - but then the menu avoids the standard curry house staples in favour of interestingly "curried" dishes using fish and game. Recommended.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Christmas Eve I went to the Pistachio Club with a

> curry eating buddy, I had the chicken and almond

> korma, my buddy had the chicken jalfrezi.

>

> We both felt it was the best korma and jalfrezi we

> had had in many a month and could not understand

> why it was so empty there was only one other

> couple in there.

>

I really like the Pistachio Club too Steve - and am always surprised that it doesnt seem to feature in other people's Indian restaurants on here.

Hmmm, what's going on here? Pistachio Club was always my favourite, has been for years, but over recent months (and mind, this is only home delivery, haven't eaten in in quite some time) their food has been virtually inedible (my particular favourites, gosth jaflongi and masala roast lamb recipes gone horribly to the dogs, smoky brinjal seemingly comprised entirely of peas and no sign of the aubergine).

If I had been eating in, I would have sent these things back, but what's the etiquette with home delivery? This hasn't been a one off, I keep thinking "I'll give them one more try" so in total, I would say it's been about 5 or 6 times.

Is it just me? Everyone else seems to think it's ace. And I want to again, I really really do.

We went to the PC a number of months ago and it was very good.

In my lengthy experience of currying, it is usually the loss of the Head Chef that causes the decline (or improvement) in the quality of food and indeed the disappearance of much loved dishes from a menu.

I frequently stay in the village of Kinver in South Staffs. The Head Waiter from the favoured restaurant left and set up his own place just down the road and took the Chef and menu with him. We all followed soon after as the quality of service and food in the previously favoured restaurant fell through the floor.

The restaurants do follow the Forum and debates such as this and a decline in regular custom should have a positive impact.